Bought a house with new water softener, not clear on whether it's programmed

Users who are viewing this thread

Blanco

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought a house within the past week that had a water softener newly installed as part of the settlement. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get a hold of the installer and am hesitant to keep waiting. What I'm trying to figure out is whether I can assume it's programmed correctly and make sure I do what I need to do to make it work correctly.

It is a Clack WS-1 30,000 grain system. It has a very large brine tank next to it as well. When I moved in the brine tank only had clear water with no salt in it. I've put salt in to almost the water line which was 80 lbs. From a manual I've found online I believe I need to add a little more to get it over the water line. There is a meter that appears to be counting downward the gallons remaining, currently at ~1400 gallons.

Should I add more salt to get it over the line and push the regen button? Should I wait until the countdown reaches zero and let the machine do it itself? Or should I somehow put the breaks and get a company out here to check it out? I don't want to attempt to program the machine.

Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Push the regen button now. Watch that the brine gets pulled out and then refills.

Blanco

Reaction score
OK, so I did a regen by holding the button for 3 seconds. It went through the following cycles and actions:
-Backwash for about 6 mins spitting a lot of water out through a pipe that runs into a utility sink. Liquid in the regeneration tank swirled a bunch.
-dn Brine for 60 minutes where it released a steady stream of water through the same pipe but not as much as on backwash. Pulled all the brine out of the tank. Also at this stage one drop of water came from the regeneration tank or valve (not sure) but nothing else dripped out.
-Another backwash cycle, this time for 8 minutes where it spit out a lot of water again at a rapid pace. Liquid in the regeneration tank rose pretty high, then dropped and swirled around again.
-8 minute rinse where it kicked out a lot more water still. A few more drops of water came out of the valve too.
-Finally an 8 or so minute fill cycle where the brine tank was filled to just above the salt. Meter now reads that there are 1666 gallons remaining.

Based on what little I know it seems to be working, although it does seem to waste a lot of water and the small drip is concerning.

Reach4

Reaction score
It sounds like you are working pretty much OK. You can find a Clack WS-1 manual on the web. Somebody may have some suggestion about your drip. Did that only occur during regen? If so, I would tend to not worry about. If you can identify just where the drip comes from, you might just replace one seal or O-ring. See http://www.softenerparts.com/Clack_WS1_Valve_Parts_s/45.htm

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks