Bottled Water Cooler -- Cleaning Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mrmichaeljmoore, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mrmichaeljmoore

mrmichaeljmoore New Member

I got a free Poland Spring 5 gallon water cooler from work.
    We've been using the cooler for years, but they got a new one....

I took and home and tried to clean it up, in order to clean it up to meet my wife's cleanliness standards.

As I inspected it, I noticed that there is a brown film/staining on the plastic components of the cooler (in the resovoir, on the plastic baffle in the resovoir). I also unscrewed the hot and cold spigot handles and there was the brown film/staining in there too. It kinda looks like mineral deposits/staining.

It comes off when i run my finger across it....but i can't get my finger in all the nooks and crannies where the staining is.
    So, I ran boiling water through the unit. I let the boiling water sit in the unit for over 20 minutes. But that didn't get rid of the brown film.
    I tried vinegar and hot water....no luck....
    I tried bleach and hot water.....no luck...

Does anyone have any suggestions for clenaing up the brown stain/film?
    Or should I not be worried about the staining? Is the stain/film mineral deposits from the bottled water?

thanks.
    mike