Bottle Water Cooler piping question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by a12548, Jul 22, 2008.

1. a12548

a12548 New Member

I may be off topic, but Im hoping to get advice. I own an Oasis Bottle water cooler (hot and cold). It sprang a leak, I opened it up and saw a green 3" tubing had split. Easy enuf, I disconnected it and is says Tygoprene xl-60 max temp 250 deg on it. Well, on internet I can only find this in 50 foot rolls. I did notice something called PEX, which is sold in small pieces but the max temp on it is 180 deg. Is this an acceptable substitute? If not, is there another tubing i can use. Now it does dispense scalding hot water so Im leery of what I put in. Thanks!
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Usually PEX is bigger dia. than tubing used in water coolers and it is also sold in rolls.

I would contact Oasis...
  3. a12548

a12548 New Member

Well, its 3/8 " ID and I did find a website that sells a 10 ft piece, I was just wonder if its safe to substitute since the max temps are different.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Pex is derated for pressure as temperature decreases. Your Tygoprene is rated for a max pressure of 15 PSI. up to 250 degrees F however, we can say its common knowledge that the hot water does not dispense at 250...
    What temp. does your unit dispense at?
    Also the 3/8" PEX is made to SDR-9 specifications and the outside dimension is CTS (copper tube size) you would need to verify that the O.D. is the same as your Tygoprene tubing. It probably isn't!