Bottle Trap or P-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Prange

Reaction score
I'm replacing a wall-mount lavatory in a powder room.

I like the look of a bottle trap, but I've never seen one in use.

Would a P-trap function better?

Also, who makes the highest-quality traps? I'm trying to avoid all Chinese junk if possible.

Thanks for the help.

k-9033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The quality of the trap depends on the metal's gauge, not who made it. Most codes prohibit bottle traps because of their design, even though they are sold. Your drain has to be EXACTLY in line with the pipe at the wall to use one.

k-9033-cp-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Prange

Reaction score
hj,

I found a JACLO P-trap that's 17 gauge and it has solid brass nuts with washers and a brass clean-out,too.

Thanks for the info. Maybe those are the reasons why I've never seen one. I'll stick with the P-trap. I can handle that one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; and it has solid brass nuts with washers and a brass clean-out,too.

Those are merely expensive decorations, with little real value in the long run. But then so is the Jaclo name.

Reactions: SHR

Prange

Reaction score
I've had to replace three metal p-traps in the past 10 years. Since it's exposed, I'm looking for the best quality I can find.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Three in ten years? You must be using 22 gauge metal ones. 17 gauge, which is required for non-residential work usually last "forever".
Maybe he is going overboard on chemical drain cleaners.

Prange

Reaction score
No drain cleaners. I've been using the Home Depot and Menards stuff.

They seem to have thin spots at the bottom. I barely rubbed them and they started leaking. They must be the 22 gauge you mentioned.

Thanks for the info on the type and gauge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks