Boosting hot water capacity for tankless WH

Users who are viewing this thread

vitullostudio

Reaction score
Does it make any sense to boost the incoming water temperature into a natural gas tankless water heater by installing an electric tankless heater in series in front of the gas WH? It would seem that if I could boost the incoming water temp by 10- or 20-degrees (or more?), the tankless heater could produce a higher GPM rate more easily. This would be in lieu of totally replacing our 13 year old tankless (3.6 GPM for a 70-degree rise) with something with a higher GPM.

Reach4

Reaction score
Vs an electric before the gas unit, it would make more sense to put the electric unit after, but set to a lower temperature. That way the electric unit would not turn on unless the gas unit was not keeping up.

But I would think that a second gas unit would be better if the gas WH often cannot keep up.

If this hot water is mainly for upstairs showers, you could run the drain water through a special heat exchanger in the basement that warms the incoming water for free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks