Booster fans for evaporative coolers?

Users who are viewing this thread

CleoC

Reaction score
We recently had the coolers removed from our roof and located new coolers in the shade at the side of the house. The new coolers are larger. The original coolers were attached directly to the ductwork on the roof and the volume of the cooling air was adequate. The new coolers are attached to the original inlet on the roof via about 30 feet of large ducting from where they are located at the side of the house. The volume of air delivered with the "high cool" setting on the new installation produces less volume than the low setting on the old installation. I have heard of ducting booster fans but am not sure if they would help. Can you give me some advice on this? Thank you.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The fan that sits somewhere in the ductwork but it would have to be accessible and near the restricted section of the duct work. They should be use as only as a last resort to push more air through a duct that is not delivering enough air. However, if your system cannot handle the 30 ft of extra duct may also mean you may not be able to pull (or suck) enough air. If you search on booster fans you'll see all different kinds and sizes. Some are nothing more than a little exhaust fan type motor for bathrooms and others are industrial size in the hundred of dollars. Don't forget a motor inside the duct with air moving through it, the motor will give off some heat and warm the cooled air.
I think you need to find if the new duct work is large enough for the 30 extra feet or the fan motor may have to be replaced with one with higher RPM's. If you used a reputable company they can contact the manufacture of the unit and get a rep to your home to see if they can come up with a solution.

CleoC

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply. The new coolers are about quarter again larger and the new 30' of ductwork connecting the new system to the original ducting in the roof is about a quarter again larger than the original. The extra distance was definitely taken into consideration for the size of the new installation. I will contact the manufacturer of the coolers and see about a higher RPM fan motor. If that is a possibility, that would certainly be the cleanest way to solve the problem. Thank you again for your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks