Bonding when 2 circuits in one box?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by jch, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jch

jch New Member

I have a wall switch box that will have 2 circuits in it:

1) A pass-through circuit with just a junction between incoming and outgoing wires; and

2) A light switch at the tail end of a separate circuit.

I have attached Circuit #2's bonding wire to the box because it is the circuit that is powering the switch.

Questions:

a) Do I need to also attach Circuit #1's bonding wire to the box? Circuit #1 is just passing through the box (with a junction inside the box).

b) Do I need to make sure that both circuits are on the same phase? Or is it okay for them to be opposite phases?

Thanks,
  2. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Everything in the box has to be tied together and tied into the box, afaik.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I cannot answer the question with certainty, but I do look forward to further explanation if that is true.

IMO, if the box is bonded, (which it is required to be if it is metal), I don't see any benefit to attaching the other conductor only because it passes through the box. This would only create another splice, which again, IMO is unnecessary.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

All equipment grounding conductors that enter the box are to be tied together with the largest being bonded to the box.
  5. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

It's a redundancy thing though...
  6. jch

jch New Member

What I'm doing is moving the light switch on to a different circuit and preserving the original circuit's connections to the downstream outlet(s).

It's a plastic box (if that matters).
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It sounds like you might be exceeding the maximum number of conductors in the box. What size box and how many conductors?
  8. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

there is no need to bond a nonmetallic box