Bonding when 2 circuits in one box?

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
I have a wall switch box that will have 2 circuits in it:

1) A pass-through circuit with just a junction between incoming and outgoing wires; and

2) A light switch at the tail end of a separate circuit.

I have attached Circuit #2's bonding wire to the box because it is the circuit that is powering the switch.

Questions:

a) Do I need to also attach Circuit #1's bonding wire to the box? Circuit #1 is just passing through the box (with a junction inside the box).

b) Do I need to make sure that both circuits are on the same phase? Or is it okay for them to be opposite phases?

Thanks,

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cannot answer the question with certainty, but I do look forward to further explanation if that is true.

IMO, if the box is bonded, (which it is required to be if it is metal), I don't see any benefit to attaching the other conductor only because it passes through the box. This would only create another splice, which again, IMO is unnecessary.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
All equipment grounding conductors that enter the box are to be tied together with the largest being bonded to the box.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I cannot answer the question with certainty, but I do look forward to further explanation if that is true.

IMO, if the box is bonded, (which it is required to be if it is metal), I don't see any benefit to attaching the other bonding conductor only because it passes through the box. This would only create another splice, which again, IMO is unnecessary.

It's a redundancy thing though...

JCH

Reaction score
What I'm doing is moving the light switch on to a different circuit and preserving the original circuit's connections to the downstream outlet(s).

It's a plastic box (if that matters).

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It sounds like you might be exceeding the maximum number of conductors in the box. What size box and how many conductors?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
What I'm doing is moving the light switch on to a different circuit and preserving the original circuit's connections to the downstream outlet(s).

It's a plastic box (if that matters).

there is no need to bond a nonmetallic box

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks