Bonding question on 200A load center

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Olenick

I've got a good memory. It's just short ;-/
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just purchased a residence that has a new(er) EATON 200 Amp load center with main breaker. When I inspected the panel I noticed the neutrals and grounds were bonded on the opposite sides (Grounds connected to bar with neutral lug and neutrals connected to bar with ground wire lug). As part of the panel there is a common bar going between the neutrals and ground bars so they are the same potential I would assume.

Any issues? Should I be rebonding to proper side.

Thanks

Last edited:

Mark Olenick

I've got a good memory. It's just short ;-/
Reaction score
More a curiosity thing. I know both are at same potential so there should not be an issue. Just wondering why it would be done that way.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The main panel has the neutral and ground always tied together...it is only on a subpanel that they need to be separate. It makes no difference which is connected to which in a main panel.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
More a curiosity thing. I know both are at same potential so there should not be an issue. Just wondering why it would be done that way.
Some people have this stupid obsession with keeping the grounds on one side and the neutrals on the other, in the main panel.
About the only sane reason for doing this is if it is planned to convert the panel to a sub, due to installing a main transfer switch, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks