Bolt-up shower drain?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dx, Mar 15, 2012.

1. dx

dx General Contractor

Does anyone make a drain for an acrylic shower base that bolts up like a garbage disposal? some type of arrangement with screws and a collar?

Existing shower base, I have access from below but not enough clearance to tighten the normal 3" nut in place.

I am aware of the Wingtite but prefer a more conventional drain with the rubber sleeve and castle nut connection to the drain pipe. Also not thrilled with the Wingtite silicone, would prefer a flange with a gasket.
  2. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Also not thrilled with the Wingtite silicone, would prefer a flange with a gasket.

If it has a gasket, the gasket belongs on the BOTTOM of the shower and you still need silicone, or putty, between the flange and the shower base.
  4. dx

dx General Contractor

Thank you Hackney. That's exactly what I was looking for.

HJ, I see the Sioux unit above can be used with either putty or a gasket (top side). I'm OK with either, just don't want silicone because I don't want to glue the flange to the acrylic base. I want to have it easily serviceable.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I would not worry about a shower drain being "easily serviceable". If it doesn't last the life of the shower, there will be nothing easy about THAT!
  6. dx

dx General Contractor

Jimbo, not so sure about that. The existing unit is about 15 yrs old and just started leaking. Regular ABS no-caulk drain with the big hex nut. Appears that leak was caused by the nut loosening from repeated flexing of the shower floor (base) over the years. Fortunately it used a gasket on top so it came out easily. I'll fix the floor flexing but still want to give myself a plan B ;)
  7. dx

dx General Contractor

OK, after further research I found an even better drain than the SiouxChief. The Davke3000:http://www.davke.com/

Same idea, but also available in a no-hub so you can connect with a Fernco, which will allow a little flex in the system. This should accommodate minor movement of the shower floor without stressing the parts.