Bolt on wall mounted toilet came out of wall

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Barry McKaig, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Barry McKaig

Barry McKaig New Member

When we took the wall mounted unit off the wall, one of the bolts came with it. Is their a special epoxy we can use to help secure it?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

http://www.terrylove.com/pdf/glenwall_install.pdf

The threaded rod goes into the carrier mounted to the wall studs.
    There should be a locking nut that keeps the threaded rod from coming loose in the wall.
    If the threaded rod is the correct length, you may be able to expoxy it as a locking measure instead of using the nut.
    I've never done that, but it's worth a shot.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  3. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

is this a residential toilet or a commercial toilet? Do you mean when you backed off the mounting nut the threaded rod came out with it? You should be able to screw it back in. There should have been a backup nut to lock it in place. Depending on the wall material there also should be an additional nut and washer to prevent the toilet from crushing the wall material. Do you have a picture?
  4. Terry

[​IMG]

Those are threaded rods.
    And this isn't really a good example of wall treatment. The tile goes behind the bowl, not cut around it.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; The tile goes behind the bowl, not cut around it.

Whenever possible, I try to have the tile installers leave the "box" inside the bolts untiled. It makes life a lot easier, if not immediately then down the road.
  6. Terry

But when the tile is cut around the bowl, and the new replacement toilet is installed, which is a different pattern, you wind up with gaps.
    I don't mind some open space to get at the bolts, which sometimes need to be moved for different bowls depending on flange thickness. I don't like the gap between the tile and the bowl.