BOILER WILL NOT RE-START AFTER IT RUNS CYCLE - PILOT STAYS ON

Users who are viewing this thread

Arnold Chura

Reaction score
Hello all and thank you in advance for any help/direction at this point, and taking the time to read my thread.

I have a steam boiler Weil-McLain model LGB-7. I have had countless repair guys look at it and need to pin point the problem so I am reaching out to anyone who can help!

There is a spark box/automatic ignition and my pilot light is not going out after it runs a cycle. Therefore not calling for heat since the pilot stays lit. For example I have to turn the boiler off, blow out the pilot light, turn power back on and it fires up with no problem, runs its cycle and then when it comes time for heat again it will not start up due to the pilot light staying on. Please chime in if possible.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's forums.

You may want to take a look at this to help troubleshoot your problem.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets/pdf/550-141-916-0304.pdf

You cycle power to the unit and the Pilot still stays lit ? I think that is what you are saying.

Sounds like the Pilot solenoid/Pilot shutoff valve may be sticking.

Good Luck on your project.

Last edited:

Arnold Chura

Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's forums.

You may want to take a look at this to help troubleshoot your problem.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets/pdf/550-141-916-0304.pdf

You cycle power to the unit and the Pilot still stays lit ? I think that is what you are saying.

Sounds like the Pilot solenoid/Pilot shutoff valve may be sticking.

Good Luck on your project.
20141018_210731_resized.jpg

Correct, and the valve I am pointing to is a diaphragm gas valve if I am correct and could that be the problem as the pilot line comes off that and maybe that part of the valve is getting stuck? One repair man tapped on the valve and the pilot slowly went out, turned boiler on and off and it fired right up.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That would be my guess. Sounds like it is sticking.

Looks like the other one was replaced already.

That assembly comes in two parts, if the coil is good you can reuse it. But it would need to be the same valve.

It may be worth a try to remove the Coil and examine / clean it up. But I would not mess with the gas side.

Good Luck.

Arnold Chura

Reaction score
That would be my guess. Sounds like it is sticking.

Looks like the other one was replaced already.

That assembly comes in two parts, if the coil is good you can reuse it. But it would need to be the same valve.

It may be worth a try to remove the Coil and examine / clean it up. But I would not mess with the gas side.

Good Luck.
Yes we replaced the one on the right side, I will try that. I found one online for a decent price so I just might replace that valve. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks