Boiler slowly fills

Users who are viewing this thread

92civeg

Reaction score
The shutoff valve that supplies my hot water boiler water does not shutoff fully so the boiler will slowly overfill unless I shut off the supply line that feeds it.
I want to remove the old shutoff valve and replace it with a ball valve and dielectric union my question is will all the water in the boiler system come rushing out if I remove the valve?
There is a pressure reducing valve beneath it but I'm not sure if it functional. I really don't want to have to drain the system if possible.

the valve I'm referring to is the one with blue tape on it in the photos

thank you for any advice you can give
photo 1 (4).JPG
photo 2 (4).JPG

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I don't recognize the auto-fill valve you have, but most have integrated check-valves to prevent back flow. So if you turn off the potable supply to the house potable water will drain when you crack it open, but there should be minimal or no back-flow from the heating system.

The fact that the auto-fill valve is allowing the system to overflow means that it's valve seats aren't perfect, and it's probably worth replacing it at some point, even if you've replaced the gate valve with a ball-valve.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The B & G pressure reducing valve designs are inherently check valves when the inlet pressure goes lower than the system pressure. The fact that yours is seeping slowly means it won't seal perfectly and probably drip when you depressurize the input and open it up to install the shut-off, but it won't be a system-draining gusher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks