Boiler - replacing gate valves with ball valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdbs3

Reaction score
I'm replacing shut-off gate valves on the supply and return to my boiler with ball valves. Some of these have multiple fixtutes (e.g. nipples, adapters, small sections of pipe) between the boiler and a Taco circulator pump, and between the pump and the continuation of the piping. All of these fixtures are 20 years old.

My goal is to hopefully do a 1-for-1 swap, that is remove the circulator pump, unthread the gate valve, thread in the new ball valve. None of the adjacent fixtures are leaking, though they do show some corrosion from previous leaks. some of them are black iron, others are copper or brass, with the black iron and copper or brass always separated by the brass shut off gate valve.

I'm just wondering whether it is penny-wise-pound-foolish to just switch out the shut off valves vs. replace some of the adjacant fixtures. I'd prefer KISS and just do the 1-for-1 swap.

Thanks for your comments.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks