Boiler Question? ?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by JoeD, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JoeD

JoeD New Member

Hi - I have an 8yr old OIL-Fired Weil-McLain Boiler with a Becket
    Burner.
    Question: The past few months I can see Sooth(Black) look
    around my Chimney Cap and some on the side of my house.

Is the Burner set to RICH?
    Does it Need More Air?

What can I do?

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  2. Lancaster

Lancaster New Member

There's not a whole lot you can do.But an oil burner technician with the proper test instruments can make the necessary checks and adjustments in a surprisingly short time frame.I used to fool around with my oil burner and never did get it working correctly until a tech with the appropriate instruments checked it out and had it working like new in about 15 minutes.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Usually, someone that knows answers. Hasn't happened yet! Soot, to me anyways, seems to indicate the burner is not adjusted properly. Adjusting it is somewhat art and science. To do it properly, you need CO meter, and probably some other tools. You can probably get it close by eye (assuming you know what to look for and know what to adjust).

A good cleaning of the orafice and burner might be all it needs to restore it to proper operating condition. This procedure is often covered in the manual. If you don't have that, you might find it on-line. Otherwise, it may be best to call a pro since an inefficient burner can be both a financial and health problem.