boiler pressure/water temperature question

Users who are viewing this thread

rooney520

Reaction score
I have a boiler that is used for baseboard heat in a rancher style house and also for domestic hot water. Recently the heat was not working but hot water was fine. In the past the pressure on the gage was around 12-15 when heat was not running. Tech who came for repair overfilled my boiler and pressure relief blew. New pressure relief valve, expansion tank and pressure/water temp gage were all replaced. Tech set water temp at 170. Now that repairs have been made, when the heat is not running, the pressure gage reads 20 most times, and the temp reads 190. When heat is turned on, the pressure rises to 25 and the temp reads about 200. Should I be concerned about this?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you aid for the new gauge, tank, and relief valve, you were probably taken for a ride, because the relief valve blowing would NOT have damaged them. That is what it is supposed to do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the ET is not sized properly or not precharged to the correct value, it can cause the water pressure to rise. If it was sized for a lower delta T, that may mean the new one is not big enough for your system. Watts has a sizing calculator on their website. You need to know some values, and you might need to make some educated guesses to put in reasonable values, otherwise, the calculator is useless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks