Boiler piping

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by LT Dan, Oct 25, 2008.

1. LT Dan

LT Dan New Member

Ok here it goes:confused: I got a harmon SF 260 and need to know if the stuff the dealer gave me is right.:rolleyes: I got 1 1/4 galvanized to go from top of boiler 18" to a T off T with supply one way, the other to crossover. 1 1/4 copper stright up 4' to a 90 then to a flow control valve on to a honeywell AP 401. Expansion tank under 401, air valve above. Then to heat exchanger with a 3/4 in and out back 13' with 2 90's to pump. Pump is a 009-BF 5-J Taco 1" in and out to 1 1/4 galvanized at boiler. This seams to be a lot of down sizing going on.Is the 1 1/4 to big or will it be of no problem.I am going to make the system bigger next year with another heat exchanger in the 30 x 40 garage.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Most confusing post of the year award.
  3. LT Dan

LT Dan New Member

Sorry didn't mean to do that but this thing got dumped in my lap and I want to make sure before I start that when it is done there will be no problems down the road.My main concern is the 1 1/4" to 3/4" at the heat exchanger and the pump. The water to air handler is up on ceiling in the garage. Is this pump ok to do the job or will it cause a wash efect at the down size points? I am new at this as you can tell. Just need help getting it up and running so will explain things as we go that I didn't do a good job of if I can.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

It's fine. What's a washdown effect?
  5. Steven62

Steven62 New Member

I suggest getting a book called, "Pumping Away" by Dan Holohan, and maybe posting a diagram so folks here might have a better idea what you are up against.
    The book will pay for itself in short order!
  6. LT Dan

LT Dan New Member

Washdown was not a good way to put that . Sorry made a mess of it. Going to take it one step at a time. Going from 1 1/4" to 3/4" with the Taco 009 as the pump. Will it cause a erosion problem at the 3/4" opening on the coil/heat exchanger? Coil made of copper at the 3/4" opening. Or is the flow so low no pressure build up will go on at the two 3/4" down sizing points, the other being at the pump. Also the expanshion tank size I will need help on to. For the book, just where is a good place to get it and will it cover this kind of stuff. I built this house 28 years ago, and did all the ele. and plumbing also. I am a DIY type of dude, so doing this is no problem as far as doing the work, just making sure it is done right and the know how is what I lack. This is going to be the main heat till I get this remod on the house done. LP and old wood burner is out and gone. LP will come back later but as a boiler to. Thanks Dan
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Reducing is fine and done all the time on hydronic piping systems.
  8. LT Dan

LT Dan New Member

Ok Thanks. Now I can get things rolling.