Boiler not coming on

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Dee001, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Dee001

Dee001 New Member

Hello, i have three zones in my home and only zone 2 will turn on the boiler the other two zones thermostats dont work .... I was thinking bad thermostat or should i hit the red reset button on the boiler ..... Not sure what too do ....any suggestion ?
  2. Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ New Member

You might want to provide us with some helpful information such as the type of boiler, type of zone valves and the controller.

Pressing the reset button can't hurt anything but if Zone 2 is working and Zones 1 & 3 are not you don't have a boiler issue. Has anyone recently done any work in your house? Perhaps they upset the wiring to the transformer. Are the ball valves for zones 1 & 3 open?

We really need more information.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Until you figure this out, you could manually open the zone valves of 1 and 3 (often a lever on the valve). Then, you'd have heat there, at least while zone 2 was calling for heat.

Zone valves typically run off of 24vac through the thermostat wiring. If you aren't using a controller, then the zone switch's end switch can be used to control the call for heat to the boiler. Without knowing more specifics of your system, as said, it's hard to diagnose.
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I'm thinking you have a bad transformer or two bad zone valve heads