Boiler insulation

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by rrcur, Dec 14, 2011.

1. rrcur

rrcur New Member

Probably a dumb question, but do people ever add additional insulation to their boilers? I know people wrap hot water heaters. My basement gets pretty cold in the winter.

My small Dunkirk Empire II cast iron oil boiler appears to have a few inches of fiberglass batt inside the sheet metal housing. I'm wondering if I could save fuel by adding additional layers of insulation to the outside of the housing. Rigid foams are probably a bad idea because of flamibilty and smoke generation, but compressed fiberglass or mineral wool with a non-combustible extrerior finished surface might be a possibility.

I don't see any air intake louvers on the housing. Is there a risk starving the boiler of air?

Is this a stupid idea?

What about just bunging up any holes on the housing? I feel heat loss at these locations.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. BadgerBoilerMN

BadgerBoilerMN Master Hot Water Mpls,MN

There are safe and simple and effective ways to save on your heating bills, this is not one of them.