Boiler insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Rrcur

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but do people ever add additional insulation to their boilers? I know people wrap hot water heaters. My basement gets pretty cold in the winter.

My small Dunkirk Empire II cast iron oil boiler appears to have a few inches of fiberglass batt inside the sheet metal housing. I'm wondering if I could save fuel by adding additional layers of insulation to the outside of the housing. Rigid foams are probably a bad idea because of flamibilty and smoke generation, but compressed fiberglass or mineral wool with a non-combustible extrerior finished surface might be a possibility.

I don't see any air intake louvers on the housing. Is there a risk starving the boiler of air?

Is this a stupid idea?

What about just bunging up any holes on the housing? I feel heat loss at these locations.

Any thoughts on this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks