Boiler Front Gasket Leak

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by jmacl, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jmacl

jmacl New Member

Hi All,

I just had a quick question about the size of the job to replace the front gasket on my boiler.
    The sweating shouldn't be an issue for me, but I am a little worried about draining the boiler.
    Also the construction of the internals after the plate is removed concerns me, I am not sure what to expect
    from the thermostat, and how the front plate will actually remove. So I was hoping that someone with
    experience could tell me whether I can DYI this, or if I should leave it for a pro.

The boiler is a:
    Trianco Heatmaker
    Serial: 1093-1199
    Model: DBC-85

Are there torque specs for the plate?

Possibly the cause of the failure was over tightening?

The gasket from the side, looks water logged:
    1.jpg

Front shot:
    3.jpg

Right side, not leaking:
    4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks in advance!

James

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Can't answer your question, but I had a Trianco Heatmaker (different model), and finally replaced it because it was so much of a pain to keep running. It was the Heatmaker II, with the domestic hot water built in.
  3. jmacl

jmacl New Member

Yeah, I am getting that feeling that it might need more maintenance than it's worth. I need to finish the season out with it, and I think it will make it, but if it was a 4-6 hour job I would probably do it. Anyway, thanks for the input!
  4. jmacl

jmacl New Member

Well it turns out it should be fine for the rest of the season. I was told to just tighten it up, and it will last, but I should have someone out to work on it once we are not longer heating.