Boiler Front Gasket Leak

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by jmacl, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jmacl

jmacl New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Hi All,

I just had a quick question about the size of the job to replace the front gasket on my boiler.
    The sweating shouldn't be an issue for me, but I am a little worried about draining the boiler.
    Also the construction of the internals after the plate is removed concerns me, I am not sure what to expect
    from the thermostat, and how the front plate will actually remove. So I was hoping that someone with
    experience could tell me whether I can DYI this, or if I should leave it for a pro.

The boiler is a:
    Trianco Heatmaker
    Serial: 1093-1199
    Model: DBC-85

Are there torque specs for the plate?

Possibly the cause of the failure was over tightening?

The gasket from the side, looks water logged:

Front shot:

Right side, not leaking:

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      File size:
      66.6 KB
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Can't answer your question, but I had a Trianco Heatmaker (different model), and finally replaced it because it was so much of a pain to keep running. It was the Heatmaker II, with the domestic hot water built in.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jmacl

jmacl New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah, I am getting that feeling that it might need more maintenance than it's worth. I need to finish the season out with it, and I think it will make it, but if it was a 4-6 hour job I would probably do it. Anyway, thanks for the input!
  5. jmacl

jmacl New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Well it turns out it should be fine for the rest of the season. I was told to just tighten it up, and it will last, but I should have someone out to work on it once we are not longer heating.