Boiler Cold At Times

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by echo, Apr 22, 2009.

1. echo

echo New Member

What would make my oil fired boiler go cold on occastion? Its been regularly maintained and runs great. But Once a month or so it goes cold and you have to hit the red reset button.
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

It needs service. Could be any one of dozens of reasons.
  3. echo

echo New Member

Its been serviced and looked at by everybody in the company I have the service contract with for about five years now. Its an ongoing project with them. I have to believe its not a maintenance issue. Im afraid if anyone is going to fix it its going to be me. Could it be the aquastat?
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

No it's not the aquastat. When the burner goes off on reset it is because either it failed to fire or the control thinks it failed to fire. Again there could be any one of a couple dozen reasons form oil delivery problems, to motor, transformer, primary control, draft and the list goes on and on. You need to find a better service tech.
  5. patsfan78

patsfan78 Web Development | HVAC

Get a new service tech, call the manufacturer
  6. patsfan78

patsfan78 Web Development | HVAC

When I say call the manufacturer I mean tell them exactly your setup and situation. This problem could involving a number of different variables that would cause your boiler to go "cold". The manufacturer may be able to shed some light on your problem from the experiences of others with this particular boiler.

good luck,
    mike
    www.HiTechHeat.com
  7. flamefix

flamefix New Member

Agree 100%.

It's going to lock out which is a fault, it's not going to over heat. They should start with the basics, fuel line leaks, air ingress, filters, check fire valves if fitted. Check electrodes for arcing leads, and cracks, check all the wiring, check the ignition transformer, check fuel pump, motor, loose control box, the list is finite but there is a lot that can be causing it. But not the aquastat because that would just shut down the boiler on limit not lockout. If you didn't have lockout and the stat wouldn't bring on the boiler then you could look at that.
  8. zl700

zl700 DIY Senior Member

In all my years, it's amazing how many tech's fail to check & clean that cad cell eye.
  9. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

See if they'll loan you an event recorder. It trips on the adverse event and reads out data preceding the event from many sensors. A lot of companies make them.
    http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q="event recorder" hvac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

For once/month MTBF you'd have to wait several months without a reset to check if your fix worked to some level of certainty. I did a report on these type of infrequent failures, once.
    It's much better for troubleshooting if you can reliably induce the failure.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009