Blue Angel Sump Pump - BCAP50

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by soccer123, Apr 7, 2009.

1. soccer123

soccer123 New Member

Does anyone have experience with a Blue Angel Sump pump - BCAP50 1/2 hp cast iron sump pump. It has a intelli-sense switch that is microprocessor controlled and has a 3 year warranty (not 1 year as many others). I have just purchased one and like the pump better than the Zoeller that it replaced.

http://www.blueangelpumps.com/products.aspx?pr_productid=141

thanks
  2. carmel corn

carmel corn New Member

If I'm not mistaken, Blue Angel might be made by Wayne (or vice versa). Sorry, but I am not a fan of their products. They're better than Simer/Flotec, but not as good as Zoeller or Hydromatic brands.
  3. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Just because a pump manufacture does not give a longer than 1 year warranty on their pumps does make them inferior. Just as if they offer a 3 year warranty does not make them superior.

The key to any decent pump system if the proper sizing of the sump pump pit. The pump pit should be sized in a way where when you have peak water incoming to the pit it should give you approximately 3 to 5 minutes between pumping cycles. I have customers that have pits that are under sized and need to replace their pump every 2 - 3 years, they figured to go with a 3 year warranty pump and been replacing it every 90 days. They went back to a Hydromatic its going on 120 days with out issue. I told these people they need me to tear up the floor and install a proper sized pit. It cycles every 45 seconds to a minute during heavy inflows. I have other customers with properly sized pits where the pump will turn on every 5 minutes like clock work. The pumps have lasted them 14 years, with new switches every 3 - 4 years. They are using Hydromatic and one is using a Zoeller pump.

A Flotec would last a while if it was working in a properly sized sump pit.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yea, I'd say it would last a little while....
    No where near as long as a good pump...

As far as the Blue Angel...

[​IMG]

vs, Zoeller 50 series 1/3 hp.

5' 43GPM
    10' 34GPM
    15' 19GPM

Looks like a lot higher GPM...
    How big is the pit and what is the cycling frequency?
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Hydromatic OSP50

The stats on a Hydromatic OSP 50 is

5' head = 60 gpm
    10' head = 55 gpm
    15' head = 45 gpm
    20' head = 29 gpm
    23' head = 10 gpm

Lock valve at 25' head
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I posted the Zoeller 1/3 hp because that is what I typically see in sump pits.
    Of course it does not compare well to a 1/2 HP pump.

If a Zoeller 1/2 was installed the pump curve goes like this...

5' 72 GPM
    10' 61 GPM
    15' 45 GPM
    20' 25 GPM

I consider the Zoeller to be a quality pump...

The important thing is matching the pump to your needs and application.
  7. soccer123

soccer123 New Member

basin size and cycling frequency

The pit is a standard 18" diameter by 24" deep. I am sitting on a lot of water partially because of a large basement (44' x 77'). At the bottom of the pit, The pump runs continuously. I have tried both the Zoeller 1/2 hp and the Blue Angel 1/2 hp. Near the top of the pit, the pump runs for 10 minutes and rests for 40 minutes. I purchased the Blue Angel because of the electronic switch - no moving parts. The switch is mounted to the pump but is a piggy-back configuration. The pumping range is less than the automatic Zoeller pump and is about 3 inches. I am now trying a VerticalMaster switch to gain pumping range.

I am considering another sump pump basin and raising up the sump basin that I currently have which is 6" below the concrete floor. I would appreciate any other ideas that anyoue has.

Thanks