Blowing water out of filter tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have another question, regarding the filter tanks (iron and acid neutralizer) that I'm using to correct our well water.

We have a vacation home that we use about 5 weeks out of the year (seems like such a waste. . .) The filter tanks live in the unheated garage, and I hate the notion of just leaving them filled with water for months at a time. I don't think it would be cold enough in the winter to freeze them solid and cause a split, but you never know. . . I'm already draining the water from the house pipes, pressure tank, and water heater.

In any case, my plan is to hook an air compressor up to the hose bib just before the tanks and blow the water out of them. I've heard of people doing this with sprinkler systems. I believe I can use an adapter for RVs to hook the compressor up to the hose bib.

Does anyone have any advice or know of any pitfalls that I should watch out for? Is it bad to blow the water out of an acid neutralizer? The media would still be moist- any chance it would turn to concrete on me in the months that we're away?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks