Blood Pressure Question

How often when you go to the doctors do they check your blood pressure?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Micp879

Reaction score
You may want to check with your HMO (If you have one). If this doctor was in private practice, then this suggestion is probably pointless, but if he was part of a bigger physicians group, Id be interested to see if they have any kind of policy on this; especially in this era of frequent malpractice suits. Ive been a 911 paramedic for almost 6 years, and our county, and my company, make it mandatory that a patients BP is checked initially, and routinely thereafter throughout treatment. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if they made it a law that BP must be checked on every doctors visit. I mean alot of things are mandatory when you go the doctor. It is mandatory to park your car in the parking lot and not just leave it running in the street. Its mandatory you register with the receptionist when you first arrive, but you don't see people throwing a fit about those things. So they shouldn't throw a fit for having their "VITAL SIGNS" checked. Some people hate change, and others just hate the idea of government having a say in anything more than they already do, so they are going to put up a fight against anything.
In regards to your husband, I am very sorry about what happened. Yes, he could've asked to have his BP checked, but when people are healthy, they don't think there is a problem or a need for it. Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes. But medical professionals can't claim ignorance, especially in this era. One thing Ive learned being in the medical field as long as I have, is that genetics plays a MAJOR role in medical problems that we develop. Yes, staying in shape and eating right can definitely help, but at the same time, you could be in perfect shape and workout daily, but if you have a family hx of heart attacks despite being young and healthy, it could very well happen to you also. As Im sure u already are, stay on your kids about eating healthy and staying in shape. They need to do everything they can to handle the factors they CAN control. Best of luck. Keith

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Rugged, I think you should had married that girl, lol.
Now, you do know, I know you know, that BP is really dangerous.
Plus, the headache, Rugged.
The eye problem could be Hypertensive retinopathy. I don't think God needs a good plumber yet, so, go get that checked out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertensive_retinopathy

Hey! I've been ****ing like that for years! If it hasn't killed me yet, nothing will!

I would of killed her if we would of stayed together, I'd be in prison and my health care provider *prison system* would of not met my needs, including regular blood pressure checks.

I am of the belief that from the day we are born to the day we die, it's all part of the master plan, no matter how well we eat, what lifestyle we choose, what we do for a living that affects our everyday life.

Otherwise there would be an explanation why children who are so innocent, didn't harm a soul leave this earth so early some times, and then some grow to be the worst human imaginable, leach off the system and live with almost indestructible health.

There's reasons (teachings) in all of these occurrences whether we agree with them or not.

It makes up the clientell "up there" along with those "down here". Of course, I'm talking out of my *** right now but I have a good feeling that I'm close to that relative thinking. Real close.

Gotta go; Billy Mays trying to sell me some fix it in a squeeze bottle. This guy won't quit!!!!!:mad:

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I figured since she was good enough to take your BP while on the toilet, there had to be love there Rugged.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Eh, we wasn't doing the check while I was on the can, just enacted the event by heavy grunting to see how high I could get it. She ended up marrying our accountant. :eek: That's A-okay though, her chest bumps were like socks with gravel in them a.gif, Dr. Phil hung the phone up when I told him how bad it was.

Anyway, she's a good person but we both excelled tremendously when we departed, I became a master plumber with a business, 2 businesses now and she became a RN and now a D.O.N. of a well known hospital serving 3 locations.

I was the risk and invest, she was the save and spend; those two don't mesh at all when it comes to building personal wealth. Her and I was 19 and 21 buying real estate/rental properties and people were impressed how we had such a great start at such a young age.............BUT

started on a poorly built foundation and that's what ended the show.

It was a learning experience and I've gained a ton of knowledge from the aspect of knowing many facets of home construction, just not plumbing. I'm about to buy some commercial property that will allow me to understand what I was self taught in my early 20's to do or not do.

Dating for me is off limits right now; all that would do is slow me down and I don't have time for it. Find out more on the next montel williams show...

My eyesight is damaged from my experience with arc and mig welding without proper lenses, not dark enough and striking arcs without any protection to show where I was trying to weld.

They didn't have the luxury items back then with instant strike arc darkening helmets and the like. :mad:

Last edited:

Russell Guillette

Reaction score
I am curious to know how often when you go to the doctors he checks your blood pressure. I am going to explain why I am asking this and why it is so important people respond. Three 3 years ago, my husband, died from high blood pressure. He was thin, tall, and seemingly in good health. He only had a chronic eye problem and visited the doctor for it. He did not monitior his blood pressure. He weighed him, took his height, and his temp on each visit. He was 49 when he died, from undiagnosed high blood pressure which caused him to have a fatal, sudden heart attack. He was the love of my life. I am seeking to enact a bill, called Tim's Law. It would mandate the physicians to take a blood pressure reading at every visit. I need to know as much as I can how often this happens, and I thank you so much in advance for your participation.

Most heart attacks are in our genes .I have always had low blood pressure 110/65 and I had a heart attack.Doctors can only treat about 25 % of the problem.Not only get a bp test every time you go to the doctor Get a lipid test.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
... he ordered a chemical stress test.

Do you know what that is? In my own opinion, using a chemical to stress the heart is insane!

A few weeks after my heart attack several years ago, the doc wanted me to do a stress test. He had already done some kind of ultrasound or whatever and said there were no visible signs of any damage. He gave me the "choice" of a regular, treadmill-type stress test or the lay-on-your-back-and-hope-to-not-die chemical version ... but of course, they have some kind of antidote needle somewhere nearby!

I did the treadmill deal, but only after the doc clearly understood and agreed I was only going to go for the very minimum required to get whatever kind of info he wanted.

After a couple of great chili-dogs for dinner had nearly killed me, I was all done with abusing my heart, and especially with could-easily-stop-it chemicals.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Lee, when you said you went for the minimum did you do the chemicals? If you did, was it hard to do? I mean how did you feel? I hate being sick. It interferes with my shopping. ( send all shoes to in care of Terry, LOL)

No, I did not do the chemicals. I did the treadmill, and the doc understood up front that I might quit in a heartbeat :rolleyes: at any moment *I* might decide it was time for me to quit. He wanted the test, not me, and I was not about to hurt myself in any way -- I have a bunch of arthritis -- just to satisfy his curiosity. With chemicals, stopping at will would not have been possible. I do not know what after-effects the chemicals might have produced.

Micp879

Reaction score
12 lead ekgs can be a bit tempermental. Even slight changes in placement of the leads can alter the reading a little bit, so a ekg done by two different practioners could come back a bit different. Id have another one done, and see how it looks. And Im still not completely sold on the practitioners statement that you weren't relaxed enough. Yes, movement can cause alot of artifact and prevent a reading, but never once have I had trouble getting a ekg reading because a patient "wasn't relaxed enough", even in a moving ambulance. Typically it is caused by the patient talking, or knowingly moving about.

Im not a big fan of chemical stress tests. The last time I checked, they use Adenosine as the chemical, which is the same medicine we give to slow down peoples hearts that are beating way too fast. In essence, it briefly interrupts the electricity in the heart, with the hopes that the hearts normal electrical conduction will take over and restore a normal heart rate. Alot of healthy patients hardly even feel anything awkward from the medication, but Ive seen some that become extremely short of breath, pale as a ghost, and have a look of death in their face for a few seconds. The medication is often successful, but it can still be a little nerve racking at times for those of us in the medical field lol. If you can handle a standard treadmill stress test, Id vote for that instead. Im not a doctor, just a paramedic, so obviously dont take my opinion as fact, but those are my two cents.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My last visit to my chiropractor, she told me about this story.

A new study by researchers at the University of Chicago shows lower blood pressure is a result of the specific adjustment McCallum received. The study, published in the May issue of Journal of Human Hypertension, shows the adjustment, which realigns the atlas, or C-1, vertebra, "is associated with marked and sustained reduction in blood pressure similar to the use of two-drug combination therapy."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/318768_hcenter07.html

Last edited:

Molo

Reaction score
If I die naturally I will go in my sleep somehow, have a heart attack while I'm awake, or give in to a lung problem. I hope for a death in my sleep somehow or a heart attack. Hope is powerful.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
More kids at risk for hypertension
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/256.0/popup/index.php?cl=7173553

Medical guidelines now recommend that all children have their blood pressure checked on each visit, on children over the age of 3.

High Blood Pressure Often Missed in Kids

It's not something most parents think about when it comes to their children's health — high blood pressure (or hypertension) seems like a condition that affects only adults. Although it is far more common among grownups, high blood pressure is on the rise among kids as the childhood obesity epidemic grows. And, according to a new study, hypertension is a serious problem that's often undiagnosed in kids.
Looking at the blood pressure levels of more than 14,000 children and teens (from ages 3 to 18), researchers discovered that nearly three quarters of the 500-plus kids who had hypertension hadn't been diagnosed with high blood pressure in any of their three previous routine checkups.
Kids with high blood pressure often don't have any symptoms at all, so the condition can be tough to catch. Diagnosing hypertension is also "complicated because normal and abnormal blood pressure values vary with age, sex, and height, and are therefore difficult to remember," says the study.
That's why it's crucial for doctors — and parents — to keep track of kids' blood pressure levels as they grow and address any abnormalities.

A routine checkup is annually! To spell it out these kids have gone 3 years without being diagnosed.

Last edited:

Macman

Reaction score
Cookie, you don't know me. I've posted to the toilets forum, but only lurk here. It's my opinion that any doctor who won't take the time to discuss your health with you in a calm and respectful manner isn't someone who you want taking care of you. Almost anything can be put into simplified layman's terms if the doctor is just willing to take a few moments extra. I think it's time to find a different doctor. If there are issues with your insurance specifying who you are to see, talk to them and explain the situation. It's likely they'll work with you.

Dave

Macman

Reaction score
He may be dumb, but more likely he just thinks you're dumb. Unfortunately a lot of doctors seem to think they're supreme beings, and it upsets them when people don't respond the way they think they ought to. The sad nature of most people is that they go to the doctor, say yes sir (ma'am), no sir, and just do what they're told. Some doctors don't want their patients to question or think. They take it as a challenge to their authority, and as a personal affront. I won't put up with a doctor who acts that way.

As for the issue of falsification of records, you may be right but proving it would be near impossible. Unfortunately the best thing is probably to just walk away.

As far as the quality of doctors go, someone once told me to keep in mind that of every batch of doctors who are produced, one of them graduated at the bottom of his class. You just never know.

Micp879

Reaction score
I would definitely try to get away from that doctor. Not only does he appear lazy, but he also seems incredibly demeaning towards you. One of the things that all medical professionals are taught is that they should listen to their patient. "Treat the patient, not the monitor" is the popular mantra. Afterall, the patient knows their own body better than anyone else.

That does indeed sound like he is falsifying documents. If I got caught doing that same thing at work, I could be terminated. The problem is, in a court of law, it would be your word against his. And jurys/judges tend to give the benefit of the doubt to professionals such as police officers and MDs, unless you are able to show a crediblity issue. If you could get other patients involved who are concerned about the same problem, you will probably have better luck.

Macman

Reaction score
There you go Cookie. The only time someone else truly controls you is when you allow them to. It sounds like you pulled the chair out from under him. :D

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Well, some of those things are listed on most clinics sign-in forms, with the general idea being "if you don't check it, you must not have it"....as for the rest of what he checked off, he seems like he pencil-whipped off notes to arrive at the most convenient solution. the guy seems to be condescending, rude, and careless...run away...run FAR away...or sue:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks