Bleeder on copper line shut off valve - Which side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
I am doing some rough copper plumbing on my cottage. I am sweating half-inch and three-quarter inch shut off ball valves in line. There is no arrow on the body of the valves for water flow direction. Should the bleeder be on well side or downstream of the valve? Does it matter which way I orient the valves? Also have some ball valves without bleeders. How do I know which way to orient these valves without a bleeder? Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The bleeder should be on the side that is shut off. In other words, it should be on the downstream side.

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
The bleeder should be on the side that is shut off. In other words, it should be on the downstream side.

Thanks very much! Makes sense.
How about those shut off Ball Valves without bleeders or arrows on the valve body. Does it matter which way I sweat them on, well (source) side or downstream? Would the position of the valve handle when open (parallel) to pipe provide a landmark for orientation? Thanks again.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
AFAIK it matters not but I install them so the handle always points upstream when open. In other words, the handle is on the upstream side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks