Bladder tank and holding tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Jtbartlett, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Jtbartlett

Jtbartlett New Member

I am in the process of plumbing up a new house. All DIY and I'm not a professional. I recently set a 7gpm goulds pump at 480'. Plenty of water at 1 gpm recovery rate. This is an off grid house so I'm trying to run the pump as infrequently as possible. Young family of 4. I have a 36 gallon pressure tank and would like to run two tanks in series. My question is whether I need to run 2 bladder tanks or can I run the 36 gal into another, larger batch tank, or non-bladder water tank. I have a 40/60 pressure switch. As long as the second tank can hold the water pressure can I do this? I'm not looking for real high water pressure. Tanks are on the second floor, kitchen immediately below tanks, 1 bath upstairs with shower, 1/2 bath downstairs. I have no problem plumbing 2 bladder tanks in series but if I can get the extra capacity with a larger batch tank I'd like to do that instead. Hopefully I've given enough info. Thanks.
  2. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

What is your power source? I may have a better solution for you.
  3. Jtbartlett

Jtbartlett New Member

I'll have 240vac from a DC inverter. I should say I'm not really concerned about the power used, rather, I'm trying to limit the frequency of the well pump. Ideally I'd like to fill the tanks in the morning, and possibly again at night. I'd prefer not to have the pump cut in and potentially overload the inverter if something else happens to be running simultaneously. I was thinking I could possibly add a tank after a checkvalve and plumb a manifold from the batch tank to the downstairs. I am guessing the drawdown is going to be equal through both tanks and it probably won't work.
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If you plumb them close together and don’t have really small pipe between them, multiple tanks will fill and drain at the same time.

At 40/60 pressure, a 36 gallon tank only holds 9 gallons of water. An 80 gallon tank would hold 23 gallons.

But if you only put in 20 PSI air charge and let the pump fill them to 60 PSI, you can get 18 gallons from a 36 gallon tank and 46 gallons from an 80 gallon tank. The outlet pressure will vary widely from 60 to 20 PSI, but that way you get the most draw down from a bladder tank.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Depending on the quality and design of the bladder, undercharging it could cause it to stretch and shorten the life. Some bladders just roll back and forth, like turning a sock inside out and outside in.