Bladder pressure tank vs standard pressure tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by brown13, Jun 5, 2006.

1. brown13

brown13 New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have a couple of questions. Last weekend my 1 hp Red Jacket submersible system blew the starting capacitor, and or the relay in the control box. I contacted the local well service guy and he sold me a new control box which solved the problem.(got lucky it wasn't the pump). After I replaced it I noticed the pump cycling more than normal. I found my bladder tank to be waterlogged. I drained the tank, attempted to recharge the bladder, no luck, ruptured bladder, and only one year out of warranty, (figures) :mad: I sealed the system, and charged the tank to approx 30psi and renergized the system All seems to be ok for
    now. I have to replace the bladder,bladder and tank or put in a standard
    tank. So the question is which would be the better route to take as far as less maintenance in the future?
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

A standard galvanized tank is going to waterlog. It's a known fact. A good bladder tank will last for many years with no waterlogging problems. Notice I said good bladder tank. There are many brands that will not last for many years.

bob...
  3. brown13

brown13 New Member

The tank I had installed was a Flotec 7125.
  4. speedbump

Well, that's one of the bad ones. Sorry!

bob...
  5. brown13

brown13 New Member

What would be the best brand for the minimal cost. Just the wife and myself, some lawn watering, at least 100 gal equivalent
    Thanks
  6. speedbump

It's rare you can buy the good for minimal cost, but for instance. My 120 gallon bladder tank is $297.90. I don't know what 1hp Red Jacket you have, but if it is more than a 15 gpm model, that's the smallest tank I would recommend.

bob...
  7. brown13

brown13 New Member

I dont know the GPM rating on the pump, but the pipe coming out of the well is 1""
  8. vaplumber

vaplumber Guest

Go with a bladder tank. Get a name brand and enough capacity to serve your needs. Avoid the $99 box store specials, and I agree with the cycle stop valve.
  9. Pumpman

Pumpman Pump Sales

If you check out the different tanks, you'll notice that there are bladder tanks and diaphragm tanks. I prefer to use the diaphragm type like the Goulds (A.O. Smith) tank. I'll get in a plug, too (-;
    As a rule, the bigger the tank, the better, but you need not go overboard.
    The CSV or Smart Tee is the way to go if you want to use a smaller tank.
    Ron