Black Water Mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

RGJ

Reaction score
I have been plagued with black or grey water appearing frequently in toilets and sinks generally following regeneration of a water softener. It's a Water Boss 950. I am assuming somehow the activated carbon is exiting the resin tank and entering the piping for the house water system. It generally goes away after flushing only to appear again with regeneration. The Water Boss folks have been no help at all. So my questions are as follows:
1. Could it be possible my assumed cause of the black water is correct? Any other ideas?
2. If this is the cause, what would be wrong with the Water Boss 950 that results in the carbon in the piping system?
3. Would replacing the media without adding the activated carbon solve my problem? Is the activated carbon really necessary? Their 900 model does not use it.
4. The spec's. include Redox Media - what is that? Is it necessary?
5. Would ordinary resin work or do I need Super Fine Mesh Resin? What is that?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your problem is with the carbon in the unit. It needs to be replace or removed. Not sue what the Redox media is but suspect it's some sort of oxidation/filtration media. It depends on what is in your water to determine whether you need the carbon or not. Again, depending on whether you have fine mesh resin or standard mesh, you should should replace with the same type.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I agree. The system should be re-bedded.

Redox usually refers to KDF. Unless KDF is done correctly, which it rarely is, it is more of a marketing media that functional. When it is applied correctly, it is one of the best medias available.

RGJ

Reaction score
I agree. The system should be re-bedded.

Redox usually refers to KDF. Unless KDF is done correctly, which it rarely is, it is more of a marketing media that functional. When it is applied correctly, it is one of the best medias available.

Thank you both for your comments.
The spec. from manufacturer for their 950 model is 4 lb. Redox media, 0.25 CF activated carbon, and 0.70 CF Super Fine Mesh Resin. It's strange but for another WaterBoss 950 unit I changed out the media using the company's recommendations and I think I recall they did not advise I include Redox, only the carbon and the resin. At least that's all they sent me.
It's still a mystery to me what would cause the intrusion of the charcoal into the house. Would something be defective in the unit?
I am leaning to purchasing only the resin and seeing if that will still soften the city water adequately. I don't think iron content is an issue.
I would appreciate any comments on that approach.
Is there a difference between fine mesh and "super fine mesh" resin or could I use just the "fine mesh" or the plain resin I see advertised for sale online?

Rjh2o

Reaction score
Have you had the water tested, before and after the softener? That black stuff in the toilets may very well be manganese. You will be spending as much for the media to rebed the system as it would be to purchase a new WaterBoss.
RJH2O

RGJ

Reaction score
What thoughts are there on replacing only the resin and neglecting the activated carbon and the Redox? Will the softener still work?

RGJ

Reaction score
Sure the softener will work. You will get exactly what you are getting now. The carbon, at a minimum, needs to be replaced.

My preference is to replace only the resin media and not the activated carbon. The goal is to see if that arrangement would stop the issue of grey water entering the house with each regeneration, and continue to soften the water. I am surprised to learn carbon is needed at a minimum since iron is not a big issue with the city water in our area. Are there other reasons to add carbon in the unit?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks