Black water coming from gas waterheater

Users who are viewing this thread

bbarbee

Reaction score
Hi, Terry sent me here to ask the group.

We have a new home...only 7 yres old.
The gas water heater is the same age.

one about every 6 months or so...we have a very odd thing happen

we get periodic bursts of black(not brown) water from the hot water lines.

if we turn the tub on hot so we get a thick stream of water...you can see a black horizonal line about 1/8-1/4" thick every now and again.

if i drain the tank fully and let it refill...the problem goes away for another 6 months or so...this is the 3rd time it has happened.

Also...the water doesnt smell funny or anything. we even filled the bathtub up to see if it would stink... it didnt. although the water was a light grey color by the time it finished filling.

any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you have flexible lines feeding the WH? Some of those, not all, are lined with rubber which can break down and put black crud into the water.

Does this happen at all fixtures in the house, or only the tub/shower?

bbarbee

Reaction score
all faucets...its just easier to see in the tub due to the thickness of the waterflow

the lines feedign the water heater are the solid metal ones with joints...the kind that have to be soldered inplace

Reaction score
What temperature do you run the water heater at? You should be able to discern this from the dial--typically 10 F increments on the graduations, with 120 F being the normal (white mark on mine) and a thick bar for 130 F on mine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks