black specks in water--HELP!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Tatemz240

Reaction score
This morning when I went to turn on my bathtub faucet black specks came out of the water! The water seemed to have a grayish tint to it, and a lot of little black specks clinging to the bottom of my tub. Any idea what this is and what is causing it? I live in an apartment and my handyman is a total goof! About a year ago the apartments water softener system broke down and I experienced the same thing happening now--but he claims it is not the same thing now. I've asked my neighbors about their water and none of them have any complaints. Help! I can't stand the thought of taking a shower in this water!!!

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Water's Just Dirty

The water probably isn't bad it's just dirty. We're getting a lot of posts about black specks lately. Try to isolate it. Is it only the tub valve? and is it both the cold water and the hot. If it's all hot water in the house then I think it's flex connectors at the water heater. If it's just at the tub then I think it's your washer coming apart. But we don't all agree on the source. It just takes a little bit of black to contaminate a lot of water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks