Black Specks - AGAIN

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by foxhome01, Dec 16, 2008.

1. foxhome01

foxhome01 New Member

I posted a few months ago about black specks we were seeing in our dishwasher, showers and tubs. Based on my research it seemed to have boiled down to either the expansion tank or the anode rod. We've since had both replaced. I even called our City Water and they said that they've had people over the years say the same thing and it was their expansion tank.

Sadly, they seems to be back. I've noticed them in the dishwasher again. Same thing that happened last time - we'd randomly see them and then all of a sudden they were all over the place.

I have no idea what else there is to do. Someone had suggested that perhaps it's the water itself and that maybe we'd need a filtration system. If that's the last option, is that honestly going to resolve our issue?

What's the average cost?

Any other recommendations?
  2. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

The first step is to have a chemical analysis performed on your water by a professional lab. Expect to $65+. Otherwise you are just guessing at the problem
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Do you have black nylon braided flex connectors on the water heater??
  4. foxhome01

foxhome01 New Member

How would I identify that? Not sure what this is.
  5. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Does your water utility use chloramine as it's primary disinfectant? If so, the black specks could be coming from rubber washers, rubber gaskets, or the rubber diaphragm on an expansion tank. Chloramine attacks rubber.
  6. foxhome01

foxhome01 New Member

I am planning to have someone come to the house to take a sample and have it tested. When this was originally looked into the plumber took a sample and sent it out. They claimed high levels of iron in the water and suggested that it's reaction with the anode rod was likely the cause.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

And when you replaced the anode rod you put in a nice new magnesium anode rod? :rolleyes:
  8. foxhome01

foxhome01 New Member

yep, we did.
  9. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Well if the black flecks are Magnesium Sulfide which is caused by your water reacting with the Magnesium Anode, You need to install an Aluminum Anode to stop the chemical reaction.
  10. foxhome01

foxhome01 New Member

I went and checked the receipt and it was in fact an aluminum anode. So, I have a brand new aluminum anode and an expansion tank. Neither have seemed to fix my problem.
  11. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

If you have any braided SS flex lines, they are black rubber hose.

IMO black specs have nothing to do with the anode rod or the type of anode rod.

Do you have any black slime in the toilet tanks at or below the water line?

Is there any odor in the water and if yes, what does it smell like?
  12. burleymike

burleymike New Member

The water from my shallow irrigation well is full of iron and copper. Every year I get one or two sprinkler heads that loose pressure. The inlet screen will be all clogged up with what looks like coffee grounds. If you crush them they look slightly orange.

A few years ago I filled the kiddie pool from this well. I dumped some shock in the pool and went to bed. The next morning the pool was orange. It was fun to clean up.

After adding a chelating agent I had to vacuum out a bunch of tiny ornage and green beads.
  13. Probedude

Probedude New Member

Just for reference, mine are not black hose inside but instead white/cream colored - like teflon or vinyl.
  14. Gary Slusser

Then get a water test for manganese. Galvanized pipe or nipples can cause black specs too.
  15. Gary Slusser

You should have the raw untreated water tested for iron and copper.