Black soot in tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Trq

Reaction score
I have black soot in my jacuzzi bath tub but not in my other tub. I am on a well and I shocked it a month ago. I replaced my hot water heater about 3 years ago and removed the anode rod at the same time because I was told it would not hurt anything and would not produce the sulfur smell. There is no rod in it at all right now.
The water tank and inner tube were replaced about 2 months ago and the water softener was replaced about 1 month ago.
Sometimes the water going into the tub is very black and then turns clear. Sometimes it looks clear but leaves a black residue on the bottom of the tub.
I can think of only 3 more things to try.
1) would putting the anode rod back in the water heater fix it?
2)is there anything in the jacuzzi plumbing that would cause this? Or
3)could my well be too shallow?
It only seems to happen when the hot water is on.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Putting in the anode would help lengthen the life of your water heater. I use a powered anode. That will protect the tank without reacting with the sulfur.

2. no.

3. If going deeper got you sulfur-free water, then yes. However it is often deeper wells that have more sulfur.

A backwashing sulfur filter would help a lot. I use one that uses Centaur Carbon as its media. It works on sulfur and iron. I will PM you with what I have, but water differs.

I think your well work loosened some accumulated sulfur. I expect you get the black water when there has not been much hot water drawn for a while. I suspect washing out your water heater would help. Rather than just leisurely draining, I am suggesting something with more kick. Can you spray a water jet into the top of your empty water heater through the anode hole? You can also consider replacing the faucet on your water heater with something that is more open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks