Black Soot in bathtub

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by supermattthehero, Apr 23, 2013.

1. supermattthehero

supermattthehero New Member

I've been getting black soot coming out in the bathtub when the hot water hasn't been used all night. It doesn't appear to be broken-up rubber. It is very fine, black, and the large pieces will break up and dissolve if I poke them with my finger. It will smear on the tub.

I have a gas hot water heater. Does this mean it's on its way out? It's been like this for months now.

EDIT: I should add that I also get them in the bathroom sink. It is not limited to the bathtub.
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It is probably from the anode rod disintegrating. It could also be manganese but I doubt it.
  3. supermattthehero

What do I do about it?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is magnesium sulfide, often caused by a reaction between the anode rod and soft water. Change the rod and try to flush the remnants out of the heater, which may not be possible.
  5. matrazar

matrazar New Member

I recently replaced my gas hot water heater 2nd floor above master bathroom.
    I now have black soot appearing in my tub. since this is a new tub I am guessing I have magnesium sulfide in the pipes is there anything I can use to flush this out and clean the lines?
  6. supermattthehero

Update: The problem wasn't the water heater, it was the Sharkbite flexible water heater lines I had used. Replacing them with conventional flexible copper lines solved the problem. Here is a link to someone else who had the same issue:

http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=84485
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

So the O-ring on the Shark Bite flex connector failed?
    There is a lot of heat right off the water heater.
  8. JerryR

JerryR Member

9. poe

poe New Member

I have the same problem but all of my lines are copper. Running peroxide through my tank cleared it for about a week. I pulled my anode rod to find it covered with a thick layer of the black slime.