Black, slimy anode rod

Users who are viewing this thread

poe

Reaction score
Yuck, I can't believe I was showering with water that this rod was soaking in. Occasionally, when I would turn on the hot water in the bathtub, it would be black for a few seconds and then run clear or have black specks in it, that's what lead me to remove the anode rod. I have softened water, and a private well. The previous owner wrote on the tank "replaced with aluminum anode rod, 1999." Is this Manganese? For now, I just left the anode out, what do you guys suggest I do?

Attachments

• photo(6).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 786
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    16 KB · Views: 554

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know if it is manganese. I wish I knew of a simple test to tell.

I would suspect it is a sulfur form. Usually if you have much manganese you also have iron to a greater extent. I had sulfur smell from the water -- maybe only the hot water.

Congratulations on getting your anode out. Impact wrench I presume. You do not need to use nearly as much torque when you plug in the new anode-- I think I did it hand tight followed by about 1/2 turn with a wrench. It has been a while. I did watch for leaks initially. Use teflon tape. While a good electrical connection must exist, the threads will cut through points on the teflon very effectively.

I had black stuff from pipes and when I cleaned the water heater. My toilet tanks were red inside. I shocked the well.I washed out the old water heater in several steps, and I put in a powered anode. There was already a softener in place, but I did treat the softer with a dose of iron out to get it cleaned. I put in a sulfur and iron filter, and that solved all smells and colors. All is good now.

poe

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Reach4. I used a cheater bar attached to my breaker bar and had a friend hold the tank. I soaked it in some PB Blaster for the last month. For now I just capped the tank. I did have a sulfur smell, just from the hot water. I bought the house back in 2006 and the hot water was only used occasionally because I didn't really move in until last year. There was never any smell or black soot before I actually moved in and I did use the hot water for showers and laundry about twice a month as I was living elsewhere. The tank is old and can't have much life left in it anyway, I'm thinking about just leaving the rod out, still looking for advice/opinions.

Reach4

Reaction score
My advice would be to get your water tested for iron and sulfate and manganese and maybe more. http://www.watercheck.com/products.html is a good source. They go by more than one name.

I went with e-watertest.com which tested for a zillion things but not sulfate. Also they were slow delivering results. Altenatively, you can go to Hach and get their 5-B test for hardness, and their iron test strips. Those tell you most of what you need to know IMO, but they also offer http://www.hach.com/pathoscreen-pp-20ml-pk-100/product?id=7640249612&callback=qs

I bought Seachem multitest iron test, which I really like. It was inexpensive. If you do not have rust staining in your toilet tanks, then you probably don't need an iron test. A softener can deal with some amount of iron on its own. I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks