Black pipe/dryer vent spacing?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mastas, Nov 26, 2009.

1. mastas

mastas New Member

any requirements or best practices for spacing black pipe and dryer vents? Due to space limitations, my setup for gas line and dryer vent is going to be tight. Less than 2 inches and possibly touch at one point.
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

You shouldn't have any problems, dryer vents don't get hot enough to hurt the gas line.
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

I'd agree. If you're that worried about it though you could put some insulation on the gas line.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

My furnace vent touches the black iron gas pipe that feeds the furnace.

I think clearance concerns combustibles, in which case my B-vent would need 1 inch.

But to my knowledge, a black iron gas line is not combustible.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  5. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

You're right. The gas line wouldn't be considered combustible.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gas line

IF that is your ONLY problem in life, then you do not have any problems.