black mold

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I visited my camp today, planning to stay the weekend. Well, I walked into the kitchen and found the ceiling, in most spots, big spots, stark black. The drywall is also, becoming unattached in spots. Well, I can't clean that.

I listed the property, and was wondering, how this will weigh in on selling. Is it a major problem? I didn't spend anytime in it, due to my health conditions, and didn't even take out what I wanted to, for fear, I would put the mold in the jeep.

Has anyone had this happen to them? A few years ago, the ceiling was green/blue, and we washed it off, but, black?

Also, the huge TV antenna snapped and landed on the roof. I guess, we had some severe winds at some point. I tried to get it off the roof, but was afraid of damaging the roof, plus, I wasn't sure, if I could be electrocuted. I think, one wire goes into the antenna, and one goes to ground, but, I am really not sure, which is which. I plan on going back up, with a bigger ladder, so, can anyone tell me how I can tell which is which, or even so? Plus, I have to remove a tree laying across the driveway, which fell. Big tree. So, I got my work cut out for me, I guess.

Any advice is always appreciated.

Here is a picture of my camp.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=189236904

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the antenna has a motor to rotate it, or if you were in an electrical storm, it should not have any voltage on it. Now, if it happened to be touching the a/c supply to the house, that is a different story.

Mold can be problematic. It needs moisture and food. The paper in drywall works for food. You have a leak in the roof, probably, that is providing the moisture. If it isn't that, you have a pipe leaking or maybe an a/c condensate drain clogged, and it is spilling over and getting on areas.

Depending on how messed up the drywall is, it might have to be cut out and replaced if it isn't structurally sound. Bleach will kill it. WIth a compromised immune system, it probably isn't a good idea to try to clean it up yourself.

Mold is everywhere. You already have it in your home It is just waiting for the right conditions to grow. Somebody recently was discussing what's in a typical handful of dirt...over 5,000 different germs, virus, and mold, not counting the dirt!

Cookie

Reaction score
No motor that I know of. But, this thing is heavy and big. The ceiling is such a mess, and the drywall is not butting together anymore making the ceiling light, which is one that hangs down over the table, not look too swift these days. I used to sit there and have my coffee, I think, I will pass now. I helped my husband wash down that ceiling once, when, it was a green/blue color, but, I read about the black mold, and not so sure, it is not lethal. Since, I have come this far in fighting bigger and better bugs, I refuse to succumb to mold. I won't touch this one. I know it is not the gutters, at least, I don't think so, but, there could be a leak in the roof. I am hesitant to even have someone come in to replace that ceiling because, I have no idea what is under it. That could be like opening Pandora's Box.

I think, maybe, it is best left for the new potential owners to deal with, perhaps, along with the antenna. I can move the tree by cutting it up. I can't fix the outhouse that needs to be taken down.

Last edited:

D.Smith

Reaction score
Without a Analysis of the mold its difficult to remedy. IMHO it will be cheaper for you to fix the problem than to let that weigh in on the closing. Hire a mold abatement company and get them to sign off after the mold remediation.

Dont get caught holding the ball when it could come back to haunt you. Compare apples to apples when looking for a mold re mediator. Alot of shady companies out there willing to take your money and run.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can try a DIY process. Make a fairly concentrated mixture of bleach and scouring powder, and scrub it off. Then apply two coats of Kilz or some equivalent. I suspect the room-side will not show mold.

D.Smith

Reaction score
Mold is the latest lawsuit. Before that was abestos. Get it properly removed or risk what may happen in a few years.

Perfectionist

Reaction score
Mold removal recipe

Another recipe doesn't contain bleach:

1/2 gal. white vinegar
1/2 gal. hydrogen peroxide-common peroxide available from your drugstore
1 cup boric acid

More instructions in this thread on the John Bridge Ceramic Tile Forum:
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4991

N.B. It kills the mold. Once it's done, you have to use bleach in order to withen the problem area.

(if you browse, this thread is in Tile & Stone Forums > Reference Liberry)

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I signed the listing papers, there are disclosures. So, the mold the next owners can take care of. I really think, the ceiling has to come down, that is my honest opinion. I wouldn't want to cover it up, and, then, think there are kids maybe, sleeping in there. Whoever, buys it, buys it with the signed knowledge there is mold on the ceiling. For camps, tucked away in the mountains, it is pretty common. I don't know, if to this extent. It is in my opinion, pretty awful. If it doesn't sell by fall, I might have the ceiling replaced, I upped the price on it some to allow for that, if that should happen. That way, I won't be paying for the new ceiling, etc, and, charging the same for the camp as if I didn't. I can always come down on the price if I want, but, I can't go back up.

I hate mold.

CharlieM

Reaction score
Cookie,

Where is the pic of your camp ? I clicked on the link and see a sliding picture of fawn and a gal standing on a beach. No camp though.

Charlie

Cookie

Reaction score
lol, will change it back, I like looking at different things. Who is that gal? ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks