Black inky coating in copper flex pipe on hot side?

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulOregon

Reaction score
Greetings. Last weekend, I removed a 15 year old propane-fired water heater from my house and replaced it with a nice new Bradford-White 50 gallon tank. Pretty straightforward job, but I noticed something that was strange.

The connections to the top of the tank are the common 3/4" copper flex lines, soldered to 3/4" hard copper for a bit then conversion to PEX. When I was getting ready to connect the hot output flex line to the new tank, i stuck my finger up into the threads to clean out any crap and my finger was coated with the blackest inky coating. It was thin, not oily but permeated my skin like black ink. I cleaned as much as I could with a rag and reassembled the line. System is running fine now, but I wonder what that inky stuff was.

Water heater was 15 years old and was handling moderately hard water (5 gpg) for all but the last year so it's likely that the tank was full of sediment. GE water softener was installed a year ago. I wonder about dielectric reactions between the copper and the stuff in the water and maybe even the threaded nipples at the top of the tank (if they were iron and/or reactive)

Any ideas? Is this common? Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There used to a rubber seal at the end of the flex connector. That is pretty much gone now.
I only use flex connectors once. If I ever remove them, I toss em.
You should have used a new connector there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks