Black Fibers coming out of the toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Janet Cody Glover

Reaction score
When flushing our toilet these black fibers appear sticking out of the holes that the clean water comes out of. It almost looks like fake black hair from a wig. Is this something that could be part of the toilet? There is nothing in the tank but water.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
When flushing our toilet these black fibers appear sticking out of the holes that the clean water comes out of. It almost looks like fake black hair from a wig. Is this something that could be part of the toilet? There is nothing in the tank but water.

Sounds like bits of mold or other organic material growing within the confines of the toilet. I had that in my toilet in the City (where the water is not chlorinated) and fixed it by using those Clorox tablets that folks on here (and the toilet manufacturers) say not to use because they dissolve the flapper and other rubber elements inside your tank. However, it was worth it to get rid of the black stuff, and the Korky Chlorazone flapper that I had in there still works fine for now, and the inside of the tank looks sooooo much better as years of growing stuff was dissolved away. But be prepared to replace the flapper if the toilet starts to run on its own after using those tablets. (This is usually a five-minute DIY job.) I have seen pictures on here of non-Chlorazone flappers that Terry has pulled out of toilets in which people have used the Clorox tabs. Some of theme look like they have been hit with a blowtorch. (I suspect, by the way, that this is more likely to happen in toilets that aren't used regularly, so the concentration of bleach goes through the roof as the tablets dissolve.)

Another method might be to pour some bleach down the overflow riser and let it sit for a while in the bowl and toilet innards, then flush. This would avoid damaging the flapper.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Read about Flush n Sparkle and Kaboom toilet gadgets.

The Fluidmaster and Kaboom bleach cleaners are great, because they go in series with the bowl-refill tube and dump the chemical down the overflow to the bowl. The Kaboom can be reloaded, not only from the product they sell, with a slow-disolve swimming pool or spa chlorine or bromine product. They put no chemical into the tank water.

Bromine does not have that (possibly faint, possibly not) chlorine smell.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Check the flapper. Is the underside coated with mold? If so, clean it off. Instead of Clorox I'd use vinegar after turning off the water valve, lifting the flapper, using a long funnel to pour a gallon of vinegar into it, then letting it sit for at least 1/2 hour. Since vinegar is an acid you probably don't want it sitting over night. Idk if it would attack the CEFIONTECT. Maybe a high pressure water hose would do the same thing? Typically I do the vinegar flush to get rid of lime/mineral deposits clogging the drainage holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks