Black deposits in low flow toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Bonnie

Reaction score
This question was asked in July 2001 by another woman but got no responses. Now, I am having the identical problem. She wrote, "Has anyone else experienced a problem with nasty black deposits at the waterline in the bowl of a low flow toilet? Ever since my apartment bldg replaced our old toilets with the low flows, I've had these black deposits appearing almost daily. I thought they were mildew stains, but mildew removers like X-14 have no effect. They come off easily with scrubbing, but I've found no way to keep them from coming back. What causes them? What can I do to prevent them? " In my case, I recently purchased a new house and all three toilets develop these nasty black streaks. They wash off easily but are really disgusting. Is it the pipes, or is it the toilets?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is just a guess...do you use one of those cleaner tablets or other dispenser devices that sits in the tank? the black could be rubber deposits that are being eaten up by the excess chlorine from those devices.

Bonnie

Reaction score
Reply to jadnashua

I have never used a product that sits inside the tank. All I use is a pine-scented cleaner and brush. It is a mystery. The streaks that form in the tank come from the small holes underneath the rim. Sometimes the black substance forms a ring at the water line first, then it forms lines down from the holes to the water line. Other times, the streaks will "grow" from under the rim and ultimately reach the water in the bowl. Once the bowl is cleaned it takes approximately 2-3 days for it to start all over again. I have never, ever seen anything like this. I am beginning to regret purchasing this new house with low flow toilets.

ocpilot

Reaction score
Is the surface (i.e. the path between the rim holes and the waterline) etched or rough there maybe from mineral deposits? If so it could be allowing small amounts of moisture to stay on there (instead of running down into the water). This would be especially pronounced if you flush that toilet infrequently.

I had a similar issue previously, however it was a type of mildew/mold and seemed to crop up a certain times of the year (not sure if because of the water or the environmental conditions). In my case, it seemed to accumlate where someone had apparently scratched the bowl serface with a rough brush.

I ended up replacing the toilet and problem was solved.

Here is one thing to try to verify it isn't mold/mildew, go ahead and use a "blue" cleaner/dispenser. I'd bet if it is mold, normal flushing will probably eliminate or at least retard.

Bonnie

Reaction score
I am willing to try almost any suggestion. The house is only four months old. All of the toilets are new. This problem has been occuring since the day I moved in.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I don't think that you can attribute the stains to the toilets, or everyone would see the same thing. My guess is there is something in your water. If you take a glass and fill it with cold water from the tap then let is sit for several days - leave it for up to a week or so. See if you get similar things.

Maybe someone else will have an idea. Did you say that others in your neighborhood have similar problems? Maybe you should take it up with the city or town water people .

Bonnie

Reaction score
I have asked three other neighbors and none seem to have this problem (or they won't admit it.) In the last two days I have had a plumber, then his supervisor, come to the house to investigate. Neither one has seen anything like this before. The supervisor said to try a bleach-type tablet in the tank. His reasoning was that low flow toilets do not eliminate all of the water in the tank with each flush - and that might be promoting a mold/mildew buildup. The second plumber checked the inside of all three toilet tanks and he also went into the attic to see if the water heater had any type of residue in the pan. (To be honest I'm not sure really why he went into the attic or what he looked at...) Everything looked clean. I have decided that low flow toilets are not all that great and I would prefer to have traditional toilets in my home.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
None of the toilets exchange all of the water with each flush. They do flush all of the water out of the bowl, but there is always a little left in the tank (some more than others).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bonnie, it's a water or air quality thing and has nothing to do with the toilet type unless there is 'rubber' deteriorating in the tank; again due to water quality. How will you feel after replacing these toilets and still having the problem? Are you on well or city water? City water with chlormines in it is very hard on 'rubber' gaskets and seals. It causes black smears that are hard to get off, so I suspect you have some type of air borne something.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Rubber Dissolving

I relate these complaints to rubber dissolving somewhere in the system. While you maybe only notice the black marks in the toilet bowls they may also be occuring at other fixtures but because the water does not sit, it is not noticable. I would take Jim's suggestion to let a glass sit.
I would not think the residue is due to the toilets. More likely it is related to the toilet supply tubes if it is not occurring at other fixtures.

Bonnie

Reaction score
I will try jadnashua's suggestion and let water sit in a clean cup for a week to see what happens. I will post the results of my "experiment" next week.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Someone else suggested it, but you may have missed it - many people use the flexible hoses to connect their toilets to the shutoff valves. Some of these are better than others. Some places also sell some that are not rated and certified - thus, the quality of them and their components may be suspect. They're only a couple of bucks - you migh want to consider replacing it since the interior of the hose may be the source of the black marks.

Also, take the top off of the tank, and lift up the flapper valve. See if you have black crud on it. If you do, replace the flapper valve. This rubber may look okay, but be deteriorating. I've seen some that just felt slimy, not from contaminants, but just from decomposing in the water. Rub your fingers over both the top and bottom of the flapper valve. And last, the rubber bushings that go around the bolts thathold the tank to the bowl could be in the same state - i.e., soft and slimey. They may need to be replaced.

Bonnie

Reaction score
The customer service department for the house builder has arranged for someone to come to my house tomorrow to test the water in the water heater. I have not spoken to this person directly, but I was told by customer serivce that perhaps there is bacteria in one or both of my water heaters causing gunk to come out the toilets!?! If that is true, then my drinking water must have gunk also! Can water heaters that are only a few months old become contaminated like that? If so, what are the options to correct the situation?

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Hot to Toilet?

Water from the heater does not go to your toilets. There is either a major miscommunication or you're talking to the 3 stooges. I cannot believe the service department of your builder includes a licensed plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Black crud

I notice black crud at the water line in two toilets that I see often.

One is the American Standard Glenwall and the other is the American Standard Champion.
Other toilets in the same households but of different brands do not have the black crud.

Last edited:

dwpecksr

Reaction score
Website
www.dalestrenchless.com
black in toilets

well after reading all these threads I would say that it is the supply tube that supplys the water to the tank. I have that problem in my shop on city water. I used a bif braided water supply tube. It also may be coming from one of the componets in the tank. I suggest useing copper chrome supply tubes.
:) :)

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

If someone else told you this already, I missed it. Do NOT (ever) use those clorox cake type tablets in your toilet tank (a plumbing supervisor advised this?) Virtually all toilets come with labels telling you not to use these, the blue liquid stuff or really anything else that goes in the tank.
What brand is this toilet?
Deb
The Pipewench

nancyjfox

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem!

I have lived in this house for 14 years and never had any problem with my old toilets until I recently replaced all 3 toilets; 2 with toto low flush and 1 with Kohler low flush. Now have these nasty black mildew-like spots that show up every couple of days in all 3 toilet bowls right at the water line. You're right, it's disgusting. Was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and was thinking that maybe the sugar in my urine was causing it...until I read Bonnie's posting. Also my Doctor says he's never heard of that. I scrub my toilets with scouring powder AND with a pumice stick to remove hard water deposits at the water line, so there's nothing that would cause anything to "stick" at the water line. Does anyone know what causes this? Grateful for any advice. Thanks, Nancy

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I"m not a fan of pumice or powders.
They will scrape up the bowl, and give more traction for stuff to hang on.
I like to use the liquid cleaners that some some sterilizing power. Lysol and Clorox are two I've used.

SamC

Reaction score
There are some aftermarket systems that fit in line with the refill tube and run bleach, cleaner, or enzymes down the overflow. Fluidmaster and Kaboom are two brands. I Emailed Toto about these. The representative who answered said that Toto doesn't officially recommend anything at all in the tank, but since these products don't contact the sensitive tank parts with chemicals, he would try them in his own toilet. Might be worth a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks