Bird Feed Comparison, Target Kaytee and Costco

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is that it. Is the word spelled Huge? Man, I'm losing it. I used to be a champion speller in school, now the old brain is really starting to go.

OK, I agree, I'm naming him Hugh.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That seems to be my problem. I thought Huge (Large) was spelled Hugh. Now after Chris corrected my spelling, I realized I have been spelling it wrong for years. I always thought my spell checker had gone mad.

Cookie

Reaction score
I was just outside Bob, planting some tomatoes and peppers and I sat down my little basil plant for just a second and along came a bird and took it. :confused: I think it went to the same place my gas cap is at.

A tiny bunny was watching me, I was watching him, he was watching me, I was watching him, and I know who is going to win. It ain't goin be me. :D I heard him say, " plant more, plant more." LOL.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Do the bunnies eat the herbs? Barb planted a bunch of herbs, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and Parsley. (I think I will write a song about that) It all took off like crazy and we do have Rabbits. Maybe they just haven't found it yet.

Chris8796

Reaction score
Do the bunnies eat the herbs? Barb planted a bunch of herbs, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and Parsley. (I think I will write a song about that) It all took off like crazy and we do have Rabbits. Maybe they just haven't found it yet.

I've never had a problem with rabbits and herbs. At our house, they really like legumes, like peas and beans. These will not survive at all without fencing. One of the most annoying things we've had rabbits do, is take one bite out of every strawberry as soon as the show any signs of ripening. They do most of there dirty work in the middle of the night.

The only herb problem I've had is squirrels and cats that like catnip. I'd had to protect it until it got a foot high or so. Then it could out grow the attention it got.

Chris8796

Reaction score
Legumes are a family of plants that are able to fix and utilize nitrogen directly from the air. Well-known legumes include alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, and peanuts. These plants add nitrogen back to the soil and are often used in crop rotation with plants that can only use nitrogen from the soil.

Speedbump

Reaction score
So that's why Farmers rotate their crops and grow things that just get mowed later.

I always wanted to be a Farmer (maybe not in this economy) but life handed me pumps instead.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, Bob, I learned a long time ago, to make the best of things in life, "if life gives you lemons make lemonade" with you, you can make little wells. :D

Cookie

Reaction score
If I had a money tree no matter the size I would share with you. :)
Popcorn came down today while I was sitting out on the deck, so, I came inside and got him some popcorn and fed him some blueberries, he ate them. I don't know if that is normal, but he did. Then I came inside and fed the cat American cheese. My son was laughing. I can hand feed a hawk blue berries and my cat eats cheese, lol.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
If I had a money tree no matter the size I would share with you.
Your so sweet. You got any seeds for one???

I found out my little three pound dog likes green grapes the other day. Then Barb tells me they are like chocolate to dogs. I didn't know that.

Popcorn is the Hawk, right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The birds are going after the Costco stuff now. Go figure.
Though I can't tell if they are sorting through it, or eating it, either way, the feeder is emptying pretty quickly the last two days.

Cookie

Reaction score
Hey, Terry,

You haven't been feeding one of these now have you?
r2283612876.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090730/sc_livescience/newfoundbirdisbald
Scientists have discovered a rare new bird species with a bald head.

The creature, dubbed the bare-faced bulbul, was found in Laos, and is the only known bald songbird in mainland Asia.

It's also the first time in over 100 years that a new Asian species of bulbul bird has been uncovered.

"To find a new bird species is very rare these days," said Peter Clyne, assistant director for Asia Programs at the Wildlife Conservation Society in New York. "It's not like we're finding new species of birds every year. This is certainly a highly newsworthy event."

The chrome-domed songbird was discovered by Wildlife Conservation Society scientists Will Duckworth and Rob Timmins and Iain Woxvold of the University of Melbourne as part of a project funded by a mining company, Minerals and Metals Group, that operates in the region.

The bare-faced bulbul lives in the sparse trees and sun-bleached karst limestone of the Laos lowlands.

"Its apparent restriction to rather inhospitable habitat helps to explain why such an extraordinary bird with conspicuous habits and a distinctive call has remained unnoticed for so long," Woxvold said.

About the size of a thrush, the new bird has olive green feathers on its back and a light-colored breast. Its large dark eyes dominate its bald pink face.

"Whenever you come across a bird that's bald, it's a prominent characteristic," Clyne told LiveScience. "Usually, but not always, it's thought to play some kind of a role in communication between the sexes."

The researchers describe the bird's call as a "series of whistled, dry bubbling notes."

The researchers describe the new species, whose official name is Passeriformes Pycnonotidae, in the latest issue of the Oriental Bird Club's scientific journal Forktail.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score

If you cook them up would they taste like "Herb Rabbit"?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks