Billing dispute

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I had some plumbing work done at my place and the labor cost for the work was 3.5 hrs for one plumber and another 3 hrs for another the other plumber. I was home the entire time and I estimate that they were there for about 2 hours each. One person started late and the other person "disappeared" for about an hour. Based on the 4 items needed to be done, an hour for each of the tasks appears reasonable. I am also uncertain on why two plumbers were sent to my home when it could have been do by one person. One of the plumbers mention they had nothing lined up after my job. The person who issued the invoice was not at the job site.

I know a lot of details are missing but my intent is not to resolve this issue on this forum. I'm just hoping for a little perspective from the members of this board.

TIA

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
THere is no way we can tell how long the tasks should have taken, partly because it depends on the abilities of the plumbers. Normally, when two plumbers show up, it is because they are both in the same truck, and thus both charge the same amount of time. In your case, it appears they were in separate vehicles and again we do not know why the second one was necessary.

Jechow

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply HJ and Terry.

The items worked on were

1. installation of a Grohe flex shower control rough-in and running pex from supplies, to the shower head and wall union. All backing was in place.
2. installation of a Schulter drain after cutting existing drain with an inside pipe cutter.
3. installation of hot and cold shut-offs under 2 bathroom sinks including reattaching lines to faucets.
4. installation of a PRV.

It was my observation that both individuals were on-site for about 2 hrs each and as a layperson 1 hour for each of the tasks seems reasonable.

TIA

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many times, you end up paying for when the plumber leaves the office until he gets back, so the time actually spent at your place is not the whole thing...it would be different if you could take your house to their shop (like you do with your car!). This is especially the case if you are a long distance from their shop and they do not have another job in the immediate area to help offset their travel time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ong_4611.jpg

So roughing in a Groheflex, installing a PRV, hooking up a lav, and installing a shower drain.
That sounds like a lot of work to me. Maybe seven hours. Shame on them for being quick.

ong_4755.jpg

Jechow

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the reply. I genuinely appreciate your perspective. This is all I was looking for.

BTW, I don't know if PEX is easier to run than copper but the plumber who did that work of art deserve an award.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Of course PEX is easier to install than copper, especially if you are not concerned with its appearance, as long as it is going to be hidden in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks