Bibcock/Sill Cock Workings

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ehk408, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ehk408

ehk408 New Member

My outdoor faucet (bibcock) suddenly started leaking through the backflow preventer on top of the bibcock valve. Do I need to:

1. get a repair kit?
    2. reset it? I have no idea how this fixture work.
    3. install a new bibcock?

Also, how does a backflow preventer work? What is a vacuum breaker and how does it work? Are a backflow preventer and a vacuum breaker the same thing or a dual function?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That would be a vacuum breaker that is leaking. Basically if there is a situation where there is siphoning going on this opens and allows air to enter breaking the siphon.

These parts would need to be replaced and they are specific for your maken and model faucet. Naturally there are some brands that are better than others in supplying replacement parts and it ranges from no you can't get them replace the sillcock to no problem you can get parts and replace them.

Do you know the brand?
  3. ehk408

ehk408 New Member

Mactco-Norca
    http://www.matco-norca.com/sillcocks.htm
    ISO 9002
    • 150 WOG
    • Frost Free Sillcock-Anti-Siphon
    • IAPMO / CSA / ASSE
    • Chrome-Plated Brass Body and Tube
    • Hose x 1/2" MIP / 1/2" Solder
    • Wall Thickness 6" - 12"

Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. ehk408

ehk408 New Member

For what it's worth, I went to Home Depot and got a generic repair kit for $2.67, installed it and, knock on wood, it is working. So...I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for you help Redwood.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If it fits, it fits...

Some are next to the hens teeth...