Bibcock/Sill Cock Workings

Users who are viewing this thread

ehk408

Reaction score
My outdoor faucet (bibcock) suddenly started leaking through the backflow preventer on top of the bibcock valve. Do I need to:

1. get a repair kit?
2. reset it? I have no idea how this fixture work.
3. install a new bibcock?

Also, how does a backflow preventer work? What is a vacuum breaker and how does it work? Are a backflow preventer and a vacuum breaker the same thing or a dual function?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That would be a vacuum breaker that is leaking. Basically if there is a situation where there is siphoning going on this opens and allows air to enter breaking the siphon.

These parts would need to be replaced and they are specific for your maken and model faucet. Naturally there are some brands that are better than others in supplying replacement parts and it ranges from no you can't get them replace the sillcock to no problem you can get parts and replace them.

Do you know the brand?

Last edited by a moderator:

ehk408

Reaction score
Mactco-Norca
http://www.matco-norca.com/sillcocks.htm
ISO 9002
• 150 WOG
• Frost Free Sillcock-Anti-Siphon
• IAPMO / CSA / ASSE
• Chrome-Plated Brass Body and Tube
• Hose x 1/2" MIP / 1/2" Solder
• Wall Thickness 6" - 12"

Thanks

Last edited:

ehk408

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I went to Home Depot and got a generic repair kit for $2.67, installed it and, knock on wood, it is working. So...I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for you help Redwood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks