Best way to route pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

bgoldenson

Reaction score
I am starting to fix some problems with the water pipes in my home, (galvanized, under sized) and as part of that I am redoing and rerouting the main feedline after it enters the house to minimize 90º fittings (to maximize the flowrate). I have a good size crawlspace on this single story house, so locating them is not an issue.

I am wondering if there is any standard practice againest running pipes directly under the livingroom or diningroom because of noise or...? Or is trying to locate them along walls or hallways better?

Thanks for your help,
-Bruce

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First let me say, I'm not a pro. It don't think you need to worry about too many 90s reducing flow rate. There should be no noise problems if you run the pipes under the floors if you attach them to joists to keep them from moving. If you are concerned about flow rate, you could use 3/4" for the longer runs, but be aware that long runs of 3/4" from the water heater will extend the time it takes to get hot water at the end of the run.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
We need more info :

Are you running copper ,cpvc , pex ??

Will the floor joist be insulated ?

What size are your interior walls ? 2x3 ,2x4 , 2x6 ?

All this matters for sound, course that crawl space sounds nice ! Should be the way to go..

bgoldenson

Reaction score
Cal said:
We need more info :

Are you running copper ,cpvc , pex ??

Will the floor joist be insulated ?

What size are your interior walls ? 2x3 ,2x4 , 2x6 ?

All this matters for sound, course that crawl space sounds nice ! Should be the way to go..

Running copper 3/4" type L .

Floor joist are not currently insulated, but could be.

Interior walls are 2x4 (I think) plaster and lath.

I was planning on insulating the pipes themselves for sound with the wrap-around foam insulation.

I hope this helps,
-Bruce

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
use plastic pipe clamps to hold the copper piping, this will keep the piping from directly contacting the wood (which prevents noise).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
noise

Unless your pipes are undersized, or the flow rate is extremely high, the water will not be flowing fast enough to make any detectable noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks