Best way to pump water from Lake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
here's that bookmark I was looking for

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-loss-plastic-pipes-d_404.html
10 gpm in 1-1/4" pipe gives 1.6 per 100' of pipe, 1.6 x 7 = 11, so your corrected head height for the friction loss in 700' of pipe is 50+11 = 66'.

It looks like the BF-1007 from the previously posted link will do 17 GPM at 66' head height.

One of the 5 GPM pumps may also work but the lines on the graph don't extend that far. The BF-0515 looks like it would just do 10 GPM at 66' if you extend the line, so you might want a slightly larger 5 GPM pump, but ask the manuf. first. He might have a good reason for not extending those lines to 10 GPM; maybe it shortens pump motor service lifetime.

Now the problem becomes sizing pumps and pipes for the minimum cost at reasonable pump lifetime that still meets your spec's. A spreadsheet comes in handy to keep track of all this nonsense.

Piece o' cake!

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
The BF-0515 looks like it would just do 10 GPM

The reason I recommend the 10 gpm is that it is the most used pump in the US. This keeps the cost down. The 3/4hp 5 gpm has a lot more impellers, thats what makes them cost more than a 10 gpm or larger. If you only wanted the exact 10 gpm, you could throttle the 1/2hp 10 gpm down to that flow and the amps would drop somewhat. So it would still cost less to operate than the 3/4hp.

WildWildMidwest

Reaction score
The government just can't stay out of our lives; can they? What next.
I share the sentiment. However I also believe we are a nation of laws (i.e. a republic) -- until such time as the laws cease to exist. One can certainly question whether the laws are fair and reasonable, or whether they are enforced equally. There's lots of doubt about the equitable enforcement of our nation's financial laws, and whether politicians are held to the same standard as their electorate. But, leaving such political concerns aside... once previously law-abiding citizens start defying rule-of-law it raises questions about the viability of our republic.

The bigger picture here is whether we believe individuals should try their best to adhere to laws and ordinances? Are we a citizenry, or are we a rabble?

I hope I raised awareness of potential added expenses of dealing with lawyers and law enforcement. Fellow DIY plumbers, please proceed with caution. At least know what legal risks you may be taking before putting pipes together.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
One can certainly question whether the laws are fair and reasonable, or whether they are enforced equally. There's lots of doubt about the equitable enforcement of our nation's financial laws, and whether politicians are held to the same standard as their electorate. But, leaving such political concerns aside... once previously law-abiding citizens start defying rule-of-law it raises questions about the viability of our republic.

Are we a citizenry, or are we a rabble?

At least know what legal risks you may be taking before putting pipes together.

Along with your likelihood of getting caught.

As to the debate about following laws, this problem \/ will never be solved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_trap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Last edited:

hanlesc

Reaction score
Not in Georgia

We live in a free state.

Self Delete this statement - Anyway, can someone give me an example calculation so I can figure this friction thing out?

Looks like my browser did not refresh properly. Thanks for the additional info above. I will check it out and remember, "Live Free or Die".

Last edited:

hanlesc

Reaction score
Confirmation

Ok, Speedbump

So you are recommending the BF-1007-112 1/2 HP 10 GALLONS PER MINUTE 115 VOLT pump with 1,1/4 pipe based upon your post above?

Considering the pump is going in the pond, do I need something to filter the water like this?

http://www.kleen-flo.net/

Will it effect the flow rate materially? Also, please help this newbie understand. How is the pump powered underwater?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
And once you decide on the pump, you can save money on piping by making it smaller (and get less GPM).

"Pumping capacity of 6,000 gallons per hour is assured with this unit." Sure, but at what resistance? This filter has a curve just like the pipe curves, showing GPM vs. apparent head. At 10 GPM the resistance for this filter may be virtually zero, so you could maybe go with a smaller filter.

Last edited:

hanlesc

Reaction score
Need Help

Hey "That Guy",

I need help, not sarcasm. It was a simple question, does he recommend the pump or not. No one ever said I was trying to save money, so don't assume I am. In fact, I would prefer a Mercedes to a Yugo. If you can help, I would appreciate it.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
PE pipe is the best choice. You can buy it in 500' rolls at most pump or plumbing supply houses, and if you want to special order, 1000' rolls. I suggest minimum 160 psi rated 1" for up to 500', and 1.25" over that to like 700' because of only 20-50' elevation.

It has the least friction loss and cuts way down on the number of fittings used; only one on each end of the roll. It costs the least also. One guy can easily handle a 500' roll (about 100lbs if 200 psi rated) and you simply unroll it into the ditch as you walk along side of the ditch.

AFAIR, no one has said what they are going to do with the water once they get it where they want it.... Don't forget about water quality. A cistern filled with pond or lake water is probably going to require more than a bit of treatment. Especially if used in a house.

As to power, you run well pump cable and use heat shrink splices to connect it to the pump pigtails. I suggest a 2 wire submersible pump kept up off the bottom with Bob's 'filter'.

Last edited:

Engineer Ben

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd use the submersible type. I would put it on a float so you could find it. Make the float depth about mid-way between the surface and the bottom, depending on weeds. If it is a small, still lake the cleanest water will tend to be in the middle. The same would go as you remove water from your tank. You can put yourself in a package for this for a couple grand, treatment included.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks