best way to cut pvc pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by scrappy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. scrappy

scrappy New Member

I have a pvc drain pipe that needs to have a broken joint cut of and replaced. what's the easiest way to do this? the pipe rests up agains a joist but I can get a little space off the joist. I'm thinking sawzall? what's the best type of blade for the pvc?

thanks for the help.
    Scott
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You can use hacksaw if there is enough space. I like a good blade that is really taut and I mark the pipe all the way around so I can be sure the cut is square. There are also small saws that require less space. Once the cut is made, I use knife to ream the inside and outside edges of the cut. You should keep the cut as square as possible, but it is not necessary to be absolutely perfect.
  3. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

with a sawzall, I think a metal blade works the best. I like the white Ridgid blades.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pvc

For tight cuts on PVC, use a piece of nylon string with loops on each end for handles and "saw" through it, or buy a "wire saw" for cutting PVC.
  5. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

I've used the string method for sprinkler repair.
  6. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I saw it on TOH once. :) Awfully squeaky, but it worked. Neat.
  7. psjr56

psjr56 Member

Sawzall with metal cutting blade will cut it like a hot knife through butter but it will vibrate so get someone to hold it if possible.
  8. riftsawn

riftsawn New Member

I am a woodworker, so naturally I use what tools I already have around. Anyway I use a japanese cross cut saw in those situations. They are very thin, flexable, and cut on the pull stroke. They cut through PVC like you wouldn't believe and I have never had one chipout the pvc like a sawzall. You can get a cheapo at any big box store.