Best way to connect ABS drain kit to brass pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew_in_Ottawa

Reaction score
I just replaced a 65 year old bathtub and the drain and overflow locations for the new tub are significantly different from the previous tub. This looks like it will require a replacement of the drain and overflow pipes. All of my waste piping is brass soldered at all connections. I have never soldered, so I would like to switch to pvc, or abs for the drain and overflow kit, but don't know how to connect those materials to the brass p-trap and piping below. Is it possible to cut the brass pipe above the p-trap and then connect using a rubber sleeve to the pvc, or abs drain kit just above it? I have easy access to all areas as the whole bathroom is torn to the studs and the basement has full access to the p-trap and waste piping all the way to the main stack.

Thanks for the help!
Andrew

Reach4

Reaction score
You might want to post a photo.

Metal banded rubber couplers should be used above ground rather than just rubber.

Andrew_in_Ottawa

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, here are a few pictures from below. After seeing them onscreen the piping actually looks like it may be copper. Am I able to cut a few inches above the p-trap and join abs, or pvc with a rubber sleeve and metal couplings to copper as well?

20160119_073901.jpg 20160119_073913 (2).jpg

Reaction score
A lot of circa 1950's Canadian homes have their tubs trapped exactly like this, with easy access from our basements.

The brass looks very healthy, so you can certainly just saw off the tailpiece to save the trap, per your original idea. You may even be able to sweat a threaded piece to that, if not, a simple coupler will join your ABS to your brass. Don't worry too much if you are afraid your repair won't last, you'll be able to keep an eye on it easily from the basement.

If you think you maybe be unclogging this often because your household has folks "with long hair", then you may want to replace the trap with ABS, for easy nut remove, and you would be cutting somewhere on that horizontal in the basement.

I don't know where you are exactly in Ottawa, but the Lowes Orleans or Lowes Hunt Club will have everything you need.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Often when you change tubs the new tub drain will not line up. It is good practice to install a new tub shoe and overflow assy into a new trap, and this will allow you to line up the new trap to the existing drain piping.

Use a banded coupler to connect the new stub of PVC from the trap to the existing piping.

Andrew_in_Ottawa

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice, I was able to successfully install it and run the water for an hour with no leaks. I had a difficult time fitting the new abs system into the brass just above the trap, so I would definitely switch the trap to abs if I were to be in that same situation again. It would have shortened the time to do the job by a lot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks