"Best" Watersense Skirted toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

TwinMom

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some advice on what will be heavily used 1.28 GPF Watersense toilets. I have twin boys so I am looking for toilets with skirts and/or concealed trapways. My husband says we need elongated bowls (I am going to just take his word for this), and none of us are tall, so I would prefer to go with standard height. Any suggestions? I can't seem to find a toilet that fits all these requirements.

• Watersense
  • 1.28 GPF
  • Skirted/covered trapway
  • Elongated shape
  • Standard height

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suggest you look seriously at the Toto line. They make several models that are skirted, using their Unifit adapter. This allows the selected toilet to fit on rough-ins from 10" to 14". Your desire for the standard height is a problem. Do you realize the Universal height is approximately the same as a dining chair? These are not just for tall people. I'm 5'8" and these are quite comfortable and with my bum knees, a God send for get up from. Toto is a leader in toilet quality regardless of the model so you can be assured you will have a top performance product.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm confused as to how the twin boys affect the need for a skirt/covered trapway. For a heavily-used toilet, you want a reliable one for sure. If you prefer the lower height, and want a good value, the Toto Original Drake CST744E is a great choice.. Elongated, regular-height. It just doesn't have a skirt. Great flush. Sturdy. Stands up to use. Resists clogging. I think Terry installed a bunch of them as commercial-use (i.e. in the public restroom) toilets in his church, after he had installed one in the pastor's quarters and she got to see how well it worked, IIRC. They are regularly used in commercial settings because they clog so rarely. The "E" version is 1.28gpf, and thus is a Watersense toilet. It's a standard installation.

For a street price of about $100 more than the Drake, the least-expensive skirted Toto toilet is the dual-flush Aquia II, CST416M. This is a regular-height, skirted, dual-flush, Watersense, elongated toilet. Terry sells a lot of them to customers who just keep ordering more. Like all dual-flushes, it has a slightly-smaller water spot than a single-flush. Like most dual-flushes, it doesn't have a flush that swirls and doesn't have a siphon jet at the bottom. Instead, it uses a "washdown" flush, where all of the flush water rolls down the sides of the bowl, and you don't usually hear a gurgle at the end. But it does evacuate everything that's in the bowl, and has decent bowl wash. Like all skirted toilets, it is a little more complicated to install, but any decent plumber shouldn't have an issue.

Here's a video of the Drake flushing paper:

Here's a video of the Aquia flush by ToiletFan1 (a kid who loves toilets). The smaller flush comes in about the middle of the video, followed by the larger flush.

Last edited:

TwinMom

Reaction score
Thanks, wjcandee, your information is very helpful, and the twins find the videos very entreatingly. We need at least one toilet to be standard height for the boys' bathroom. Our pediatrician stressed how important it is for people to have their feet flat on the floor while they are having a bowel movement, and we are just not a tall family. I think it is better to give up on the skirt rather than the height.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it is better to give up on the skirt rather than the height.
Aquias do have a concealed trapway, which is close enough to skirted for most purposes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks