Best type of shower mixing valve / highrise bldg with poor pressure balance

Users who are viewing this thread

Highlander

Reaction score
Right off the top, yes this project (if it ever gets off the ground) will be done by a licensed plumber etc...

Here's the situation: planning on redoing an original condition 70s highrise condo bathroom. Existing tub/shower setup is three handles (hot diverter cold), and this will be replaced for functional, code and aesthetic reasons by the plumber. Mostly used for shower, might even do a shower base rather than a replacement tub (existing enameled steel is worn).

There is a recirc. pump and the boiler is at the mechanical penthouse level (25th floor). Not surprising the pressure is always much much higher on the hot side, and since those vertical risers feed about 40 stacked/adjacent bathrooms, there are fluctuations galore with toilets flushing alone.

My question is which type of mixing valve would be more appropriate to this situation - pressure balanced or thermostatic. Would either work? Or should I look at something else altogether that's still reasonable in price (i.e. not a Kohler DTV setup)?

Thanks for your advice - tired of looking like a lobster in the morning :mad:.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pressure balance has worked well for me. All the major brands have them.
I haven't tried thermostatic, but have installed plenty of them. Maybe someone else has feedback on them. Does your unit have it's own shutoff, or do you have to shut down the entire building? If you don't have your unit isolated, you should consider a valve with stops.

Highlander

Reaction score
Thanks Terry.

Good point on getting a valve with integral stops - whenever a unit needs major repair work they seem to shut down all the stacked bathrooms, or kitchens that share a riser. At least it only affects a vertical "slice" of the building at a time, not 100% of the units.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I got exposed to Grohe thermostatically controlled shower valves when staying in a hotel in London, England a number of years ago. The pressure was fluctuating all over the place, but the temperature of the outlet remained constant throughout my shower. I put one in when I remodeled. I do not have experience with other brands of thermostatically controlled valves, so I cannot say if they all work as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks