Best tool for installing garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Kacheton

Reaction score
When I use to install an insinkerator garbage disposal I would keep the old flange attached to the sink and just install the new garbage disposal and hope the owner would not notice.
But I got this tool the other day and for now on I will be installing the new flange. This tool makes installing an insinkerator so easy I wish I had it several years ago. Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Too much work to access the Google page, but I assume it is the same one as I have had for decades. But, evern with it, I only change the flange if the old one is severely tarnished. Now that I see the movie, I change my mind. To me there is nothing about the tool that makes installation easier. The hardest part is ALWAYS installing the snap ring, and my tool makes that an easy task. Once the flange is in place lifting and locking the disposer is simple. That would just be another "useless" tool to take up room in the truck.

Last edited:

Kacheton

Reaction score
Most plumbers usualy do not put on new flange, I was one of them. But ever since I got this tool there is no reason not to install it, that's what the customer is paying us good money for. Quality and Service.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Thirty seconds with some steel wool and the old one looks new, functions as new. Only if it's really funky do I change them. I do replace the rubber insert, though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always use the new flange that comes with the disposer.

badger-5-install-01.jpg

badger-5-install-04.jpg

ise-install-12.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Interesting. 20ish years ago I bought a tool which makes installing the snap ring a "snap" and at the time it was worth the $45 price tag. It has save me hours of fiddling over the years. I might spring for the current beauty, although my guess is $$$$$$$$!!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is probably the one I have, but not sure about the $45.00 price tag. Installing the snap ring is the only hard part of the job, if you don't have the tool it is difficult to install it without disturbing the putty seal. The tool in the video makes you install the ring with your fingers and that is sometimes hard to do, especially in a cast iron sink when the groove is inside the flange.

Kacheton

Reaction score
The snap ring is the easiest part of the installation with this tool. The weight of the GD holdes down the flange (it's like having someone pushing on it from above) and the only thing you need to do is push the snap ring on. And lifting it up and trying to lock disposal to flange can be a problem especially a 3/4 hp. Not no more.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I could probably replace the disposer and have it working in the time it takes to just get this device setup, but since it is a "perception" issue we will just go on doing it the way we are used to.

Larrygusan

Reaction score
Interesting. 20ish years ago I bought a tool which makes installing the snap ring a "snap" and at the time it was worth the $45 price tag. It has save me hours of fiddling over the years. I might spring for the current beauty, although my guess is $$$$$$$$!!!!

Attaching a link to a quick and easy way, not to mention just a few cents to install snap ring by yourself.

Larrygusan

Reaction score
Attaching a link to a quick and easy way, not to mention just a few cents to install snap ring by yourself.
Oh, when removing the zip ties just wiggle up, don't pull down or the ring may pop off. No worries tho..just a few ties and your back in business!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks