Best toilet with 10" Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

trendsetterx

Reaction score
We are replacing an old toilet in a house built in 1985. The rough-in is roughly about 10 1/4". The water supply is only about 6 inches or so from the center of the hole (I have to remeasure to be exact). What's the best toilet under $400?

And are those High Efficiency Toilets as good as standard 1.6 toilets? I get $100 rebate for High Efficiency Toilets.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Best Under $400?
If you want best for under $400, maybe a Toto Vespin with 10" unifit, needs 7" to left of center for the supply.
Dropping down in quality after that.
A Gerber with 10" tank
or Cadet 3 with 10" tank

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:

trendsetterx

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I heard from a plumber that unifit parts cause problems after a while. Is that true?

If thats the case, which is better between the Gerber and Cadet 3 that you recommended?

Do you happen to have the model numbers and does it matter how far the water supply is for these two toilets?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Other than being a little more involved on initial installation, I can't see any reason why the unifit adapter would give any more problems than any other toilet. I've got several in my home...no problems.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
flange_03.jpg

I sell a few thousand toilets a year.
You would think with all the calls and emails from around the country, that I would have heard of problems by now.

Let's put it this way, I haven't seen problems with the Unifit.
Nor have I heard from anybody that has.
I would guess, that your plumber has never seen one.

Last edited:

trendsetterx

Reaction score
Which is better between the Gerber and Cadet 3 that you recommended?

Do you happen to have the model numbers for these and does it matter how far/high the water supply is for these two toilets?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gerber makes the ultraflush, Consumers Reports likes that one a lot.
It's hard to get my customers to do repeat buys on them, but they do work well.

The Cadet 3 "Gravity" toilet is less money, just make sure you open the boxes and inspect it before you go home.
Find a flat floor to set the bowl on.

I don't sell many of those, it take a lot of time to open boxes and inspect the porcelain before loading up the vans.
Well, maybe not that much time, I guess I'm in a hurry to get to the next job. I'm sure a lot of you have more time though.

Your choices in 10" are somewhat limited.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That's the best advice and opinion I have seen Terry give on the Cadet 3.

As a DIYer I love mine, because I had the time to set it up right and make adjustments along the way.

wouldy

Reaction score
Gerber 10" 21-510 Viper

I finally got the Viper 10', since it had to be ordered. So far it is out performing my new Cimmaron, but my Cimmaron is an HET 1.28 gal. The water swirls unlike the Cimmaron and cleans better.

I am happy with the VIPER. I have had no problems, but its only been a week.

The wierd part was the washer between the tank and bowl really had to be compressed the tank seems to balance pretty high on it.

Fit

Reaction score
We went ahead and bought a Cadet 3 with the compact tank. I have to say, 48 hours in, I love it. Very fast and quiet flush and it fits the room very well, the smaller size making the room feel larger.

Installation was quick and painless and the tiolet is level, etc. Based on your feedback I checked. HD lemme take it out of the box at the store. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks