Best toilet for hard-to-flush drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

LG Jon

Reaction score
I have a drain which is impossible. It flushes fine when it's pristine, but if you put anything solid in it the action slows immediately.

The root cause, I believe, is that the plumber put some extra up/down turns in the line when the toilet was re-located during a remodel. Now, any solid matter in the line requires use of a "johnny jolter" hydraulic plunger to get things moving.

Current commode is a Kohler Wellworth, 1.6 gpf.

Which toilet would provide the most aggressive flush? The size is 12" rough in; 2 piece.

I want to give it the best shot at success... the next alternative would be to re-route the drain lines, but that would require ripping up the floor to get access, so it's not a pretty option at all!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF he put ANY "up/down" turns in the toilet drain lines, he was not only NOT a plumber, but he was incompetent, and there is NO toilet that will overcome it. But, if you are mistaken, then you need a better plumber to check it out to see what is REALLY happening, because a "better" toilet may not solve the problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would look for something with a pressure assist unit then.
Kohler makes a Highline model with Flushmate.
Gerber makes their Ultraflush.
Gravity isn't going to cut it, and it's too bad you let someone install plumbing that went uphill.
I thought that would have been obvious at the time. :(

highline-pa-ken.jpg

Kohler Highline with Flushmate

Last edited:

Peters25

Reaction score
I would look for something with a pressure assist unit then.
Kohler makes a Highline model with Flushmate.
Gerber makes their Ultraflush.
Gravity isn't going to cut it, and it's too bad you let someone install plumbing that went uphill.
I thought that would have been obvious at the time. :(

Hello! I'm in a similar situation. I recently replaced a flushometer type of toilet with a tank based (gravity) toilet and am now having problems. My apartment is in an old building with antiquated plumbing system. My super says that I should not have replaced the old flushometer—none of the apartments in the building (with flushometers) are having problems. Do you think one of the pressure assist models you mention above is my best bet? I'd hate to have to reinstall a traditional Flushometer. Can you advise me? Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
A good tank based-toilet should do the job if the other plumbing is doing the job. What model is your inadequate tank-based toilet?

Did you have a performance issue with the old flush-o-meter toilet?

Last edited:

LG Jon

Reaction score
The Flushmate did the trick for me. My drain had two issues, neither of which was fixable without lots of $$$ spent ripping up tiled floors. The pressure assist toilet was a MUCH cheaper option. And it works. After two months of happy flushing with the Flushmate, the plunger is now banished from the commode area. But a word of warning: that Flushmate is loud. A quieter option would have been preferred, but the noise is certainly preferable to a clogged bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks